Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 31, 2003, 8:42 PM   #1
Default Funi 410 vs Canon s400 advice please...

Hi all,

I want a ultra compact, point and click, and these 2 are my final choise. I do a lot of travelling and city pics (night and day), countryside etc are the types of shots I will take

There seems to be a lot of advice (bias?) on canon cameras but hardly any info on the Fuji F410. My friends got a Fuji and I know it takes great pics, but I would appreciate you Fuji user for some balanced feedback.

Main plus for S400 - 4mb rather than 3mb for F410
Main plus from F410 (aprt from its looks). Fuji pic / colour quality.

Help much appreciated
photogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 10:34 PM   #2

The main problem with the 410 is that its compression setting is too high. Steve points this out in his review and if you take a look at the sample pictures you can get an idea of how much this affects picture quality.

It's too bad too, because I think the 410 had the chance to rule the roost in this category. It's got the looks, the CCD technology and some pretty decent optics. The two things that kill it are price and image compression.

As for resolution, note that the Fuji records up to 6MP whereas the Canon only weighs in at 4MP. There is a noticeable difference even between the 3MP "natural" resolution and 6MP "interpolated" resolution of the Fuji. There is another thread in this group that shows side by side comparisons of the S602's picture detail between the two resolutions. I can't find that thread now, maybe someone else can pop in here with the link to that discussion.

Both cams are good, but I think the S400 may be the better deal overall.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote