Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

I found some useful info on

Type Capacity Write speed
(MB/s) Read speed
(MB/s) Standard 16 MB, 32 MB 1.3 5 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB 3 5 M 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB 2.5 4 H 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB 9 15
So I guess H is quite a bit faster than older xD cards, but I can't find any actual comparisons of Type M vs. Type H on specific cameras.

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide between getting a 1 GB Type H card and getting a 2 GB Type M card for my F30.

Steve's review of the F30 says, "Rapid shooting in single shot mode captured images at 1.6 second intervals without the flash." That's with a 512 MB Type H card. Since Type H is about 3.5X faster than Type M, that would be terrible if it took 5.6 seconds between shots with a Type M card, but I'm sure that isn't the case.

I would assume that performance is usually about the same, but maybe Type H is a little faster when you have the quality set to Fine.

Looking at the read speeds, though, I'll bet you could tell a difference between the two pretty easily when browsing through pictures in review mode.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't have any real need to get a 2 GB card (I'd need an extra battery to have any hope of filling it), but if the performance isn't much different, it might consider it just in case I go movie crazy.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:11 PM   #2

If you're truly concerned about speed, the 'H' xD seems to be the way to go. I'm not sure if there would be a recognizable difference in real world photography, but if there is, why not get the fastest? I think the 2 gb card would be overkill. You can probably pick up two 1 gb 'H" cards for the price of the 2 gb 'M'. Two would be better (IMHO) from a reliability standpoint - if a card craps out, you can still take pics. I think you can get about 15 minutes of video on a 1 gb card, which is pretty good. If you need more than that, you might consider a video camera.

Maybe you could buy both types of cards, do a test, then publish the results here...hmmm...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:28 PM   #3

Yup... just popped an H card in my S9000 and didn't notice any real change in write speed vs M type. A little quicker in RAW mode.

BUT I did notice a difference when previewing the shoots. It was noticeably faster.

Will try to quantify this with actual times this week... now back to the hockey game.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote