Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:50 AM   #1

Its been hard to find to many detailed reviews on this camera like the Panasonic FZ30 and 50 HAVE TONS AND TONS OF REVIEWS. Im looking for that camera with good zoom but keeps a crisp picutre. I thought for sure that was going to be the mentioned panasoncs. In the begining I steared clear of this camera because of no IS. But I think ive made this one my choice and am coming full circle and giving this one aother look. In the begining I thought for sure it was the FZ50.

Just have a few question I hope someone can answer.

1. Can the auto ISO be turned off so the cameraS not the one controlling it for image stabilization. I might not want a higher ISO on a certain shot.

2. Can the view screen be turned in so its protected when I toss it in my bag in a hurry.

3. Please share some some pics of this camera. Maybe a few in low light without flash.

Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:53 AM   #2

I don't have the 9600, but I do have the 9000. Generally speaking, I think it is a very nice camera that produces excellent images. Some say that the newer series produces sharper images. I cannot comment on that, but I have been very pleased with the results I have been getting. To answer your specific questions:

1. Yes, you can set specific ISO settings in most camera modes. In the Natural Light setting, however, the camera controls the ISO regardless of where you have set it. And that may be true in other settings as well. But in many of the settings that I use, Auto, P, S, A, M you have complete control over your ISO settings. You can set it anywhere from ISO 80 to ISO 1600, or if the situation warrants it, you can set it on Auto.

2. No, the view screen can not be turned in to protect it. But it is protected by a very durable plastic covering. I haven't had any problems with any scratching over the last year that I have been using my camera.

Since I don't have the model you are considering, I won't share any images. Even if I did, you would still be looking for pictures from the 9600.

I think the Fuji 9*** series is a pretty good one. I like my camera, but if I were in the market for a camera now I would probably choose the Nikon D40 or one of the other entry-level digital SLR cameras. Better performance, lower noise, better viewfinder, not much more money. Yes, there is the argument that there is the expense of additional lenses. But you can do an awful lot with the kit lens. And if you are serious about photography at all, you will quickly discover that you are going to want the SLR anyway.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:25 PM   #3

Hi, I am new to the forum(actually I have been trolling it for some time and using it as a resource to decide what camera to buy, but I just now registered). I got this camera for Xmas, and I love it (but I am kind of new to photography so take my excitement with a grain of salt, mostly it's a shiny new toy for me). To answer some of your questions:
1) Like jphess said, the ISO CAN be changed in almost every mode, except for few

2) The screen cannot be turned in, but it seems pretty strong and I don't foresee scrathes becomeing an issue

3) Here are a few pics, not really low light, but they were taken at dusk. Please keep in mind I have only had this camera for 2 weeks and I am still learning it and photography in general, but I think these shots came out pretty good:

Hope this helps, good luck.
OverXposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the picture. Looks really nice. The problem is theres to many choices out there and I keep changing my mind every couple of hours as to what I should get.. Im going to buy something on Friday.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:13 AM   #5

Since I believe the 9000 is for all intent and purposes the same camera. Here's some links to a few low light photos.

You can find more at the following link along with many others from the 9000.

I repeat, the results from the 9100/9600 should be the same IMO.

tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:05 PM   #6

I have S9500 see my link to couple low light pics i took

I am also total amatuer had the camera about 1 month

Norfolk Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7

My first image out of the box with the 9100

madecov is offline   Reply With Quote