Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:59 PM   #1

Looking for a replacement for my SONY DSC-W5 and it appears the FUJI F30 can do no wrong. I haven't read a bad word about it. Bought a CANON A540 but too slow - looks like I need to look at the CANON A710IS to meet the FUJI F30 specs.

Looking for that all around camera to take hiking and quick shots of my two beagles not to mention those family gatherings at home.

Would appreciate anyone's comments about the FUJI F30 - sounds like a no brainer but want to be sure.

dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:07 PM   #2

I wanted a smaller camera to compliment my Sony V3- something that I could carry in a pocket. I am currently comparing a Canon SD800 IS and a Fuji F30. Altho it captures 6mp (vs. the 7mp of the Canon) the F30 is outshining the Canon in most ways: F30 has both Aperture and Shutter priority settings- neither of which can be found on the Canon!; the CCD size of F30 is 1/1.7", of the Canon 1/2.5", these translate to .59" for F30 and .40" Canon- making the F30 sensor 1/3 larger!-no wonder the images are better even with less mega pixels; macro focus, capture, and image quality is far superior; more and better choice of scene modes (includes Sport- can't choose to stop action with Canon); more White Balance choices (3 flourescent); more choice of ISO's including ability to limit hi speed to 400 or 1600 (altho no ISO 80); battery charge indicator; records more data info about exposure etc. with photo (including ISO, metering and brighness level- Canon doesn't show these on computer only in camera); you can choose to print the date & time on a photo of any size- not just postcard size; F30 seems faster to start & shutdown, records images faster and there is less shutter lag; AF Assist light much brighter on F30; F30 battery really does last for 500+ photos.
Altho the Canon has face detection it doesn't always seem to work. Canon can also sort your photos into categories for later viewing but that's not important to me. Canon has many colour option toys that are fun but unnecessary for me. You can customize the self timer time on SD800. Canon has optical Image Stabilization but I'm not seeing a difference in the end product because the F30 has less noisy images at higher ISOs anyway. I like the smaller size of the Canon (which was a very important factor for me) but the two seem to weigh about the same.
There are more differences but those are the main ones for me. Hope this helps. I know you asked about SD710, the SD800 is very similar.
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote