Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 10, 2003, 2:29 PM   #1
Default Help with Teleconverters on S602

I'm looking to add a bit more zoom to my S602. Anyone unfamiliar the lens is approx. a 55mm. I've been looking for a 2x and better yet a 3x telephoto converter add on lens. I wanted to know what the smallest mounting thread I could get away with would be ('get away with' means no or very little vignetting)
Any one with experience with any third party telephotos would be appreaciated.

I've looking at these:
Digital Optics 2x f/52mm
Kenko VC200Hi 2x f/49mm
Kenko VC300Hi 3x f/46mm

Any others people know of? If you have a S602 and a teleconverter I'd be very interested in which one and how it works.

NOMADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:51 AM   #2

I doubt you will acheive results of high fidelty with these lenses listed.

I recommend you check out the Olympus TCON-17 if you want the best value/performance ratio. It is a 1.7x, but a pretty decent unit and only about $100 USD.

If you want the sharpest/resolving lenses you will be very limited in your choices, and pay a premium price as well.

Some examples of superb lenses(prices given are average online prices from reputable dealers):

Sony VCL-HGD1758 (1.7x) >$210
Olympus TCON-14b(1.45x) >$180
Olympus TCON-300(3x) >*$600

* TCON-300 will require a custom adapter to mount to a s602. Average costs for these custom machined adapters at a mahcine shop run about $100, so add this to the average price listed above.

Of course, you can use the cheap/low quality lenses such as Raynox, Kenko, etc. However, you WILL experience very high levels of chromatic abberations(purple fringing) and fuzzy edges pretty far into the photographs.

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks WmAx! Ill take that into consideration
NOMADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote