Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:17 PM   #1

hi guys ..

what external flash do you recommend with semi auto features for my Fuji 9500 finepix ?
fuji guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2

Keep in mind that your Fuji has a "dumb" shoe. So, a flash is not going to communicate with the camera body (except for triggering it) and it won't know what settings the camera is using.

So, the best way to use an external flash is to go with Manual Exposure on the camera.

An Auto Thryistor type flash with a built in sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure is your best bet. Basically, you set the camera's aperture and ISO speed to match what the flash tells you to use for the selected Auto Range (most have multiple auto ranges you can pick from), and let the flash control the exposure by terminating it's own output when it sees enough reflected light for the range selected.

A popular non-dedicated flash would be the Sunpak 383 Super. It's got tilt, swivel, 3 auto aperture ranges, manual power settings and more.

You can sometimes find older models with similar specs for much less. For example, I got a Sunpak 333 Auto (similar specs to the 383 Super + the 333 Auto has a manual zoom head) for only $25 from the used department at http://www.bhphotovideo.com a while back.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:09 PM   #3

What Jim said...I have had great results using an old Sunpak Autozoom 3000.... 4 exposure ranges.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:45 AM   #4

my nikon sb-25 has performed fautlessly (with my9500) since i bought it on ebay for near to nothing!

Really recomend it. especially when i bought a sto-fen cover for the same price as the gun!

good luck!
ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote