Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:33 PM   #1

Just got this camera and I am already a little confused about which is the best "auto" setting to use:

"fully automatic"?
"auto with ISO select" [and then one has to select the max iso]?
"auto with scene select"?

I would be happy doing the relevant pfaffing about with the scenes and ISO [presumably I'd set it to "upto 1600 if I was planning evening/indoor shot, right?]

Already more options that my A95!
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:53 AM   #2

well so far I have thought "auto-M" with a max 400 iso is the way to go for most shots.

BTW class="post"is there a fuji equivalent to Canon's excellent "photostitch assist" for panoramic shots? :?
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:51 PM   #3

I too have just got a F31fd and have been experimenting a little. My feeling is that for standard outdoor shots in good light full Auto is probably OK. There is no exposure compensation or different metering for more difficult situations like back lit subjects, white or dark subjects, etc. The same limitation applies to the Scenes mode, because the face detection button and exposure button are one and the same. The button operates as FD in those two modes.

The "manual" mode still gives automatic exposure, but you can change from Multi to Spot or Average metering, and can apply exposure compensation with the "FD"/Exp Comp button. If you are used to doing some post processing for the occasional shot where the exposure is not correct, the Auto and Scene modes should suffice.

With low light you need to experiment, but don't rely too much on high ISO alone - flash is still useful to improve an indoor picture.

I use a third party software for panoramas so do not know of a Fuji solution - hope that you enjoy your camera!
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote