Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:51 AM   #1

Many people wonder how the new 1/2.5" 6MP SuperCCD compares with the legendary 1/1.7" 6MP used in the F series.I took some indoor pictures using only room light (indirect fluorescent light about 10 feet away) to compare the high ISO (400/800/1600) performance of the Z5 and F30 (plus throwing in a Sony T10 to show how good the Fuji SuperCCDs really are!). You can find them in photobucket

All originals were taken at the highest resolution and best quality setting, with auto white balance and exposure setting. Only the ISO was on manual. The originals were shrunken to 1024 x 768 for uploading. All fullsize crops are 800 x 600 with JPG resample at 100. The Sony T10 is a 7MP camera so the crops are slightly larger. The T10 only goes up to ISO 1000. There is no ISO 3200 on the Z5 and the ISO 3200 on F30 is bad anyway.

There are also three pictures at the end comparing the size of the Z5 and T10.

If you want to see all the untouched originals you can find them in zip files here:

Z5 samples

F30 samples

T10 samples

Short summary: I really love the Fuji cameras which have excellent color tone and saturation and bright images. The Sony really struggles in the same dim light, I don't know why it suffers from a severe yellow cast with auto white balance. The Z5's 1/2.5" 6MP SuperCCD is not bad comparing with the F30 - noise is higher than the F30, progressively more so through ISO 400 to 1600: I don't know if this is the characteristic of the CCD because it has smaller physical size than the 1/1.7", or Fuji has turned down noise reduction a bit, just like what they did to other recent models such as the S6000 or F31.
I know the new Z10 is coming with more MPs. This is even better news because the price of the Z5 will drop: I got mine from Adorama for $159.95, which is already a very good price. I don't really believe higher MP count makes better pictures anyway, unless you need to do a lot of cropping (or "digital zooming").

Fred Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links