Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1

Just bought a 8000FD (and really like it!)

I'm wondering now how to protect the lens. Normally, I'd stick a thin UV on it.

The lens is so small--maybe a 37/38---it is hard to find anything. I'm not even sure it HAS threads that will accept a filter.

I called Fuji tech support, spoke to two people--each was utterly clueless on every conceivable issue. Imagine Fuji telling me to take it into a camera store for advice :?

Well, I did. They tried a 37mm. That seemed close to the right size, but there seemed to be no way to screw it in.

Plus, this is a wide angle zoom and would need a thin, wide angle filter.

Any advice on what, if anything, I can or should do to protect the lens?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:32 AM   #2

I don't have S8000fd but I've read the manual a bit. They don't clearly state that this camera can accept filters nor state that they have adapter for it.

Another case, S5700/S5800 manual clearly states that they accept 46 mm filters. It's because their lenses are threaded (and they don't extend/protrude).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Looking at the picture of S8000fd, I guess an adapter ring is needed as a place to screw filters or wide/tele converter (I think it must be like S5000). But I don't think I can see any place to screw the adapter itself.

As long as I remember, silver ring around the lens on some of Canon P&S can be removed to attach an adapter. But there's no removable parts on S8000fd, is there?

Or perhaps you should wait for third party accessories.

Sorry, not much of a help. Too bad there's no reviews of it in the internet.

OOT, how does S8000fd perform?
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:21 AM   #3

I did see a preview of it, not necessarily a review, somewhere....I think the official release date was Oct 1, but some retailers have jumped the gun.

I'm still testing it out, but so far it is superb.

One thing I didn't intuitively realize---it is just as hard to hold the camera still to take a shot at 460 with the tiny lens as if had a big behemoth lens protruding. I have found to shoot at the extreme range I need (a) a tripod (b) or to turn on both Image Stabilization AND the shooting mode that adjusts shutter speeds up to control movement and blur.I have gotten excellent shots doing that. It will of course work best only in fairly bright daylight.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:57 PM   #4

Except in extreme cases where the lens is particularly large, the physical size of the lens has little to do with the ease of handholding long telephoto shots. The problem is that when you are zoomed in to the extreme not only is the image magnified, so is any camera movement. The movement of the camera will be magnified tenfold or more. The general rule for handheld photos has been recommended to be 1/focal length. That means that if you are shooting at 480 mm the slowest shutter speed you should even consider even if you have a very steady hand would be 1/500 sec..
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 5:45 PM   #5

Thanks for that info.

Still hoping someone has a way of protecting the lens....
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:29 PM   #6

I am moments from putting plastic on the same camera. I have read reviews and thing this is exactly the camera for me but I am more interested in polarizing filters for reflective shots.
I am an artist and use it nearly exclusively for reference photos and taking pictures of my work for contests and arciving. I have had a lot of problems with glare on shiny surfaces and wanted to have filters for my next camera.
I am sure this will not be a deal breaker, but I have not had any for my digital (honestly, nor my old 35mm, the boyfriend was the photog....) so I don't actually understand. Do filters clip on and not need to be threaded?
The sales shops are all suggesting monster zoom lenses, which this does not need!! But in the manuals and site info Fuji does not offer or suggest anything that screws on.
Anyone have some insight or suggestions for me?
djstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:36 PM   #7

I wanted to come in here and post the information I got today from our Fuji Rep. I work for a computer company and we deal directly with Fuji. I was in the hunt to purchase the Fuji S8000fd but I only wanted to get it if it came with the option for a uv filter. I contacted Diane at Fuji Film and I got the email this morning stating that the S8000fd does not have an option for a UV Filter and/or another lens. She informed as well that they have been OVERWHELMED with people asking the same exact question. That this was something that they will need to go back and look into.. So who knows if they might come up with a conversion kit to be able to add a uv filter lens on this camera.. If I get anymore information, I will definitly pass it on.

baggedcivc2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:39 AM   #8

Good job...thanks.

Their design scheme seems utterly stupid. You wonder how they could've dropped the ball this badly.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:24 PM   #9

Don't give up so soon.

If you own a S8000fd then have a look at the lens itself.
See how the lens is screwed into the tube.
The tube has threading...

I broke out my thread pitch gauges and micrometer and can confirm the following
38.1mm x 0.5 pitch
(Note: 38.1 is written above the lens on silver ring too.)

It's concievable that an adapter threaded could fit in there with the lens, but with at least 5mm of extension before widening out to form a standard filter adapter.
Without the extension it'll (at the least) destroy the threads when you power it off.

Any adapter made like this poses 5 problems that I can see:
1. The current dust cap could not be used with the adapter screwed on.
2. Overtightening the adapter could seriously bugger-up the lens & it's fixed position.
3. Anything heavy will strip the threading and possibly the aformentioned bugger-up.
4. The adapter will be delicate, catching it on something... well, see bugger-up above.
5. If there aren't enough threads then the adapter can't grip anything, or enough to last, Ref: bugger-up

Its a risky type of adapter but I'd want it, if for nothing more than the occasional use of a haze filter, or maybe a few other filters too, etc... :-)

I seem to have about 3 to 4 threads free.
How many threads do you seem to have free???

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:28 PM   #10

Reposting this from another topic on here because I'm excited yet cautious if this thing works, I heard it does

http://www.nextphoto.net/SP550.htm# Filter adapter for S8000 too?
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote