Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:33 AM   #11

A point well taken Mathilde and Goofas. My disappointment with these cameras may have obscured my objectivity, and I will therefor try to refrain from any negative behaviour I may have displayed.

Let me put it this way then :

My limited skills in photography were probably the reason why I could not consistently come up with decent pictures using the s5000. Either I did not understand the many different settings that can be altered, or my home is not very well lit and the AUTO-settings were not exactly suited for this kind of environment, or possibly even both, I definately need to start with a somewhat simpler design, improve my skills and judge a camera with more elaborate settings in a few years from now.

As I previously stated, the pictures in my second post are a BIG improvement over those in the first. Therefor I must conclude that, in the hands of someone with more photography skills, these cams can come up with some pretty decent pics.
Melvin V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:26 PM   #12

Indoor pictures, especially when artificial light is involved are most of the time, muddy, unless you know what you are doing or have spotlights at dispossal, it is just as is. Most camera reviews are based on sunny Florida alike situations. Steves surfboards are colourfull, yet in your dutch home the camera is total lost craving for every photon it can capture.

It is quite simple and yet frustrating for photographers; colors are bouncing light rays (photons). Less light less bouncing photons, dull picture. If artificial light is involved, most cameras have a setting to eliminate colorcast, neonlight (greenish) lightbulb (brown yellow).

For indoor shooting you might want to use highest iso available, but again significant noise will be in the end result. Does not say anything about iso performance of the camera, it could well be again with more light this yuch 800 iso performs like star.
I may advice to abuse the advantage of digital camera and expiriment with different settings indoors and outdoors, seeing is believing.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:30 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Melvin V

for some more test pics of the s7000, which I believe to be better in quality than the ones I previously posted, but notice the abnormalities in colour around the tops of the skyscrapers, they are surrounded by a purple aura.

I do not think that my monitors are a factor here, Goofas.
I'm sorry fellow countryman, but the pictures you mention in this thread have been taken by Tigadee3 and have been posted earlier on DPReview. Read his comment and you'll learn it was the first time he ever held a S7000 and had NEVER owned a S602z either, which makes the pictures the way they are, shot by an inexperienced first time user and thus cannot be representative for the S7000.
Also the night shots, taken by people of mykamera.com which lend tigadee3 the S7000, of the twin-towers or Petronas towers show purple fringing that I agree, but not much more than the similar camera's (who are also more expensive) under the same conditions (heavy contrasting scene).
digifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:03 AM   #14

I have the 602, and I am going to assume that the S7000 (and the S5000) will meter in a similar fashion. The hardest thing about taking super macro or macro at a full zoom is stabilization. I usually use programmed auto and push the shutter speed. With proper sky exposures, I pan up and down until I see the "proper" exposure before setting the focus. Then I reframe and shoot. As long as I have the sun to my back, I get great shots. As with any camera, when the lighting is uneven, this causes some headaches with proper exposures. I will also assume that the 5000 and 7000 have problems with low light situations. Hopefully the next upgrade to the 7000 will have a more robust ISO range (800 with 6 or 12 megapixels), and perhaps a 10X optical with a stabilization algorithm. I have also read reviews of the 5000 and its 10X regarding fuzzy pictures. Others say that the 10X pics are great. It sounds like this is a steady hand problem. I notice that several of my friends tend to tip the camera downwards while pressing the shutter button.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote