Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 10, 2003, 9:25 AM   #1
Default 3800 or S5000

I just started looking at digital cameras not too long ago. I know someone who has the Fuji 2800 and I've been very impressed with the quality of pictures, so immeadiately I started looking at Fuji.

At first I was only looking at the 3800 but then when I went to the store the other day the woman asked if I had seen the S5000. Now I am leaning more towards that camera. I just have a couple questions...

First, I have read a lot of reviews about the 3800 that mention the problems of AF in low light situations. Is this a problem with the S5000 too or is it solved by the "low-light focus assist illuminator?"

Also, are the manual controls on this camera "easy" to learn/use? I've never actually used an SLR camera but thought it would be pretty fun to learn how and that a digital would be good to learn with because I can take a million shots figuring it out with nothing to lose. Would this be a good camera to learn with?

I think that's it for now, thanks in advance for your help!

Neptoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2003, 9:59 AM   #2

The AF assist will help in focusing in low light. My son has the S5000 and it produces excellent quality pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:22 PM   #3

I have the 3800 and took a picture of a totally dark room with absolutely no lights on. The picture turned out perfectly. You can't believe everything you hear. The ones reviewing these camera's are professionals but the people using them are just average Joe's. The 3800 only weighs 10oz and is very easy to use. The 3800 gets my vote. All the best
Martyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:30 PM   #4
Default The low light AF is a problem

with the 3800 and, as I understand, most other cameras. There are some techniques you can use if there is enough light anywhere in the vicinity to allow you to focus on something the same distance. By pressing the trigger button in half way, and holding it at that position while you reaim the camera.

The 5000 is supposed to be much better, but haven't actually seen it in operations. If you are okay spending the extra for the 5000 I think you'll like it. I am struggling with the price dif in the two, as I am looking to replace my 3800 and the 3000 is now $299 at the Atl retail stores.
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote