Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:09 PM   #21

Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
...I thought though you should shoot with iso 100 unless the light is low...
Typical indoor lighting is very low light to a camera.

That photo was taken using a shutter speed of only 1/30 second at ISO 1600. If Sarah would have been moving any when the photo was taken, it would have been blurry.

Now, if it would have been taken with a wider angle of view (not zoomed in as much), then a wider aperture (represented by a smaller f/stop number) would have been available, allowing faster shutter speeds (that photo was taken using an aperture of f/5.5). Most lenses become dimmer as you zoom in more, and are brightest at their widest zoom setting.

But, even if a wider zoom setting would have been used (where the camera could have used a much brighter aperture setting of f/3.3), the shutter speed for the same exposure at ISO 1600 would have been somewhere around 1/100 second (which is still too slow to freeze action if the subject is moving much).

For shooting non-stationary subjects in most indoor lighting (especially at night when you don't have any ambient light coming in through windows), your best bet is to use a flash if you don't want blurry photos. ;-)

If you can't use a flash and you're shooting non-stationary subjects (i.e., your people photos), then you'll need to learn to time your shots so that you're taking them when the subjects are as still as possible to reduce the amount of blur you get.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:29 PM   #22

If you can use a flash, then you can leave ISO speeds set lower (because the flash can freeze the action), provided you're within the flash range the camera is capable of (and flash range will increase with higher ISO speeds).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:08 PM   #23

JimC and nech-

Thanks for you input JimC. Yes you are correct, Braley was about 12 to 14 feet away from me when he took the photo, forcing a smaller aperture. I had specifically asked him to turn the flash off to force the F-70 into a tough photographic situation.

I created a mis-impression and I must apologize for that. In the EXR auto modes, the stated ISO numbers ISO 400, 800, and 1600 are "topping" numbers. That means that the camera begins at the F-70 camera's lowest ISO:100 and then increases the ISO as required for the photo environment. Thus, the topping or limiting ISO numbers are as far as the topping or limiting ISO setting of Iso 400, 800, or 1600.

So the camera is always beginning from the base or lowest ISO setting of 100 and increasing the ISO setting only as far as the limiting settings of 400, 800, 0r 1600.

Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote