Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:08 AM   #1
Default S602 Weirdness!

Last year I bought an S602 Zoom. It worked a treat - until i took it snowboarding in the Alps. Using it on automatic I found that action shots, landscapes (in fact pretty much anything in the mountains) came out overexposed/washed out. This was PARTICULARLY THE CASE WHEN USING THE ZOOM. Wide angle shots didn't seem to be affected.

What's more, some of the shots had a kind of dark band down one side, covering approx. 1/5th of the image. On closer inspection the dark band is actually the only CORRECTLY exposed part of the photo.

Very disappointed, I returned home and complained to Fuji, who after viewing the camera and some sample shots told me there was a fault with the CCD chip. They generously replaced my camera with an s602 Pro.

So far so good, and over the summer my new camera has performed admirably. However, as autumn fell I decided to take my camera out to get some shots of the leaves. No complaints, except... my first photo after taking it out of the bag, taken towards the horizon, had that completely washed-out look and the familiar dark band down one side. Again, I'd used the zoom.

In two days time I'm heading out to work in the Alps for the whole season, and I'm now paranoid that my camera will not be up to the job. Is it a design flaw? Is it to do with the cold, or the snowy conditions? Maybe it's got something to do with the white balance?

Please help!!!!!!

sudanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:05 AM   #2

Need to see some picture examples with EXIF data intact. High altitude snow can reflect a lot of UV which sensors are sensitive too (and possibly the metering). Ozone holes are getting bigger as well! I set my 602 metering down 1/3 stop to reduce highlight burn.

When using the zoom, look at the exposure readings coming back. My guess is with snow the metering will just stop down. Try manual exposure and spot meter on the subject - but expect snow to clip. Read up on exposure lock. You can capture an average scene in wide angle, lock the exposure then zoom in. Use the 602 in shot preview/save mode and check the histogram. You can expect a very right shifted image brightness. My guess is your metering is exposing for snow which makes up most of the scene. Your histogram will then look very central or left end biased. The camera is treating your snow scene as a 'normal' scene - which it isn't. If you want some practice before you go, try shooting trees straight into the sky (but NOT the sun). VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote