Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:39 PM   #1
Default Indoor settings recommendations for Fuji S5800

I have a Fujifilm S5800. At the moment I use Auto mode as I am getting used to the camera. I have had some great shots and some bad and I was wondering what settings people would recommend manually for in a room, slightly dark, with no flash to be fair on the actors. Some come out good but I seem to be nervous and shake, think since my accident lost a lot of confidence.

Here are my sample photos

Good photos; http://www.flickr.com/photos/14657206@N05/

Many thanks
andrewhearne2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

Andrew... bottom line is that you don't have enough light to be shooting without a flash with that camera.

The shutter speed in those photos was running around 1/4 to 1/6 second at ISO 800. That's *way* too slow. So, you're going to see blur with any subject movement at all using shutter speeds that slow (even if you were using a tripod to take blur from camera shake out of the equation). There's not much you could do from a settings perspective (as your aperture was already relatively open at f/3.5 and your ISO speed was already up to ISO 800). Now, you could increase your ISO speed to ISO 1600 and get shutter speeds twice as fat. But, that will increase noise levels (and you're already eating up a lot of potential detail with ISO 800, and 1600 would be even worse from a noise and/or noise reduction perspective). Even if you had shutter speeds twice as fast, they'd still be way too slow with any subject movement (i.e., you can expect blurry images).

Either you'll need to increase light (i.e., take the photos outdoors in daylight), or use a flash to improve results (less blur from any movement) when taking photos of people, unless you can get them to be *very* still (i.e., don't even breath when you're taking the photos), *and* can keep the camera very steady (a tripod would be best).

IOW, a flash is probably your best friend taking photos in that type of lighting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:14 AM   #3

I took a look at your pics. Most aren't that great but I did really love 2 of them. The mountain one and the one overlooking the rocks where the water flows through. I can tellsome of them are taken behind a glass.

This camera is capable of much more. I wish I can give advice.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote