Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:37 AM   #1
Default High-pitched sound on 1080p soundtrack?

Hi all

Playing back 1080p video, there's a very high-pitched 'ticking' noise present on the audio track. It's not very loud, but loud enough when filming quiet movies.

Has anyone else heard this? I just spoke to Fuji UK and they say they have the same thing on the HS10 and other models as well.

<edit> I was sitting in a very quiet room mucking around with the camera, and realised that the HS10 makes this noise *all the time* - it's right at the edge of my hearing range, and ticks (or 'chirps') 220 times a minute. So if it's turned on, in still or video mode, it's chirping. No wonder it ends up on the soundtrack.

Apparently they send a monthly report to Japan with lists of customer complaints - if we get this prioritised it might get attention.

You can email fujitec@fuji.co.uk to register your desire to see this fixed.

Also how do I get 1.03? is there a build floating round out there? Is it worth it? Fuji advise it exists but isn't on their site yet. Mine arrived last week with 1.02 :-(

Last edited by mikestead; Nov 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM.
mikestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:55 PM   #2

The sound is the rolling shutter inherent with this model. It is not the cameras strong suit but after all it is a camera not a video recorder. A video recorder does not make a good camera even with a photo feature put in it.
There was a report that someone sent their camera in and got it back with a 1.03 update. Thus far, there is nothing to support that there is a 1.03 update. The most recent is the one you have, 1.02.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:11 AM   #3

hmmm...I'm not so sure - it is present in still mode.

I'm blown away by the camera's still and video capability, and this is the only niggle. Everything else is damn near perfect.

Here's a link to a sample video with the noise on it - you need to choose the 720p quality version to hear it. http://picasaweb.google.com/mikestea...OuYqZPG6YXbKg#

Fuji now have this link, I'll advise anything they come up with.

Last edited by mikestead; Nov 14, 2010 at 1:13 AM.
mikestead is offline   Reply With Quote