Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:00 PM   #1
Default HS10 Airshow set up

Hi guys, I intend to go to Duxford Airshow next year and I don't want to repeat the mistake where my S5600 was in auto mode with S-AF for the whole show. 90% of my shots were out of focus and alot of them were framed really well. I have an HS10 this time and need tips for getting the best out of. This will include panning and busrt shots. What memory card would be good for this as I will need speed! I managed to save a few of my other shots, this one for example:

Last edited by Kenzie; Dec 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:58 PM   #2

The first thing of note - you'll want different shutter speed for prop planes than for jets. You want something in the 1/150-1/200 range for the prop planes so you see more prop blur. It just looks a bit odd to see a frozen prop.

For the jets, as fast a shutter speed as you can get on that camera - probably need to shoot ISO 800. That will help keep the jets sharp.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:32 AM   #3

wow thats a nice capture John. I was hoping to get some shots of the Harrier jump-jets returning back to Yeovilton for the last time a couple of weeks ago but missed it

Shame about Duxford Kenzie. You must have been gutted.
I too have gone from a S5600 to the HS10 . To be honest my S5600 still takes images with better detail than the HS10 on Auto setting particularly birds feathers. Its unfortunate as Its my main area of interest.

If I were you i'd hang out at my local airport and practice for a while before Duxford. I have a localish flying club (prop jobbies) at Thruxton race circuit and jets at Yeovilton so I'm spoilt for choice.

Have you come across this HS10 faq's blog yet ? http://www.cameratips.com/hs10
Earleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4

No, I hadn't seen that one, thanks for the link. Here are some shots from my bad day at the airshow!

Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:15 PM   #5

Don't know if this will be of any use for your airshow shots but maybe you can
try AF Tracking to keep focus on your moving subjects...

BUT, instead of using the 4-way to initiate the tracking you can just half-press
the shutter... The green tracking box will stay in the center and as long as you
keep the shutter half-pressed it will continuously focus on what's in the box...

This may prove very useful when panning/following your subjects...

I was first made aware of this tip by Dave Lloyd... You can read what he wrote
about it in his blog (scroll past the first set of images to where he talks about it)

He also started a thread on the subject here...

Hope that proves helpful somehow...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:48 PM   #6

Agree, you need to practice much before the event.

You may need to try also the burst mode, either continuous or best-frame capture.
Try the High Speed Shooting, I didn't try it, but one said it somewhat decreases the focusing time (little bit faster). Try and evaluate carefully.
And try the spot or multi-metering which one will give you better result.

Be good and don't forget to post the results here....
loekids is offline   Reply With Quote