Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 8, 2011, 4:59 PM   #1
Default 4 hour time difference between .jpg and raw - HS20

I may not be the first to notice this, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

There is a four hour time difference in the time stamp between photos shot in .jpg + RAW when I view the photos in the Elements 9.0 organizer. The .jpgs show the correct hour. The RAW of the same image shows four hours early, e.g. 1:38 pm instead of the correct time of 5:38 pm.

Is this difference purposeful for a reason I do not understand? Is this caused by the camera or my Elements 9.0? The camera, I suspect. But why, I wonder. There isn't any reason for a separate time setup for RAW, is there?

I read on page 96 of the manual that "because RAW data are not processed on the camera..." Perhaps that includes the time stamp which is created in the computer? I checked the time setup on my computer which is set correctly. There is no separate time set-up in Elements 9.0 that I am aware of. A mystery.

I need to note that more than just noise reduction and color/lighting corrections are automatically done in-camera in .jpg. Comparing .jpg and RAW images side by side reveals considerable lens correction and a percent or two of cropping in .jpg. For example, .jpg shows my bookshelf at the bottom of the photo as a correctly straight horizontal line (no, it isn't sagging). The RAW shows signficant pin-cushioning (at 135mm) that would need to be corrected in the RAW editor.

I now see why there are several reviewers who have said they prefer the .jpg images to the RAW images. There is just too much work to do in RAW.

Last edited by gfmucci; May 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2011, 7:12 PM   #2

The reason why there is a 4 hour time difference is because the computer in the camera takes 4 hours to process and save one RAW image

But seriously, I have noticed this as well. It is probably just a hiccup.
My Gallery
Gear: Fujifilm HS10, lens cleaner, Canon 56" Tripod, Canon 63'' Monopod, UV filter, lens hood, Truckloads of AA batteries
Photo Editor: iPhoto '11, Adobe Lightroom 3 for Mac.
Main area of "expertise": Landscape (beaches), Macro, Foliage, B&W
Saltine713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 7:49 PM   #3

No, the RAWs processed four hours ahead of the .jpgs!! Pretty amzing!

Actually I was surprised how fast the camera processed the .jpg + RAW. I'm guesing somewhere around a second and a half. It is definitely slower than a DSLR, but pretty decent for what it is.

Last edited by gfmucci; May 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote