Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:44 AM   #1
Default ASTIA mode

Hi everyone.

I have to now say that since I've got to learn my F300EXR Im much more pleased with the camera.

I had previously had concerns with image quality, and I must say that I do not and will not use AUTO mode, which seems to use too much noise reduction and colour boosting. Its either Aperture, Shutter Priority or Program for me. With the 15x zoom and controlling the aperture I can get some quite nice Low Depth of Field now. I wouldn't exactly call it prime Bokeh lol but I am surprised at what I can do now!

However, I've noticed that in Astia Mode the results (to me) are much more pleasing than the other modes. Has anyone else had any experience with this or could tell me why this appears to be the case? I know that the contrast and colour is lower than the other film modes, but something just works for me in this mode.

Ive also really enjoyed using Black and White mode too. I wish I could put some pics up but compressing them will take me some time!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:40 AM   #2

Yes, completely agree about Astia (I have an F70EXR). I absolutely hate Provia, which unfortunately is mandatory if you want to use DR800, and in when I do feel the need for DR800 I'll always mess about with the colour (and the contrast characteristics) afterwards.

On my F70, contrast is highest with Velvia (which is also nice and rich - maybe too much so), lowest on Provia, with Astia somewhere in the middle. I think the low contrast with Provia is the reason behind its use in DR800 - low contrast implies maximum dynamic range.

I do think the flexibility of the EXR sensor (coupled with some VERY irritating constraints) make the cameras quite tricky to use, if you want the best results. Not exactly "Point and Shoot" in my view! However, switching to Astia is an excellent first step...
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote