Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:36 PM   #11

I just received my HS20exr. It arrived by mail 3 days after the HS30exr announcement by Fuji. I must admit I am a bit pleased to learn that the difference between the HS30/25 and HS20 is quite 'minimal'. It's more of an enhancement over the HS20exr, one which we'll know soon once the HS30 pictures are uploaded for comparison.

But i sincerely hope that they have solved the HS20exr video focusing problem. It renders video mode pretty useless. I'm just glad i didnt buy the HS20 for video taking.
cala1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Now that I have about a dozen Eneloops and a great recharger...

I'm wondering if the HS30 will have an adapter for AA batteries to subsitute for their proprietary battery. I'll gladly exchange the potential for 600 shots for the ability to get a fresh charge from a new set of batteries anywhere.
I agree, I tend to prefer AA's. They seem a bit old fashioned in 2011 but I quite like them in a Fuji cam for obvious reasons.

I hope they do.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cala1900 View Post
I just received my HS20exr. It arrived by mail 3 days after the HS30exr announcement by Fuji. I must admit I am a bit pleased to learn that the difference between the HS30/25 and HS20 is quite 'minimal'. It's more of an enhancement over the HS20exr, one which we'll know soon once the HS30 pictures are uploaded for comparison.
I agree. I have an HS-20 and it doesn't sound like the "enhancements" in the 30 are enough for me to justify $400 or $500 to dump the 20 for the 30. Once the user is aware of the weaknesses of the 20 (focus hunting in long telephoto and video - that's the only weakness that bothers me), we can compensate pretty easily. I'll wait for the 40 or 50 in another year or two.

It will be interesting to see the current price differential between the 20, 25, and 30.

Last edited by gfmucci; Jan 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
I agree. I have an HS-20 and it doesn't sound like the "enhancements" in the 30 are enough for me to justify $400 or $500 to dump the 20 for the 30. Once the user is aware of the weaknesses of the 20 (focus hunting in long telephoto and video - that's the only weakness that bothers me), we can compensate pretty easily. I'll wait for the 40 or 50 in another year or two.

It will be interesting to see the current price differential between the 20, 25, and 30.
Can you please advice me how you overcome the weak telephoto and video long hunt?
cala1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cala1900 View Post
Can you please advice me how you overcome the weak telephoto and video long hunt?
I used the word "compensate", not "overcome."

I "compensate" by thinking/doing these things:

1. Realizing these limitations, my expectations are reduced.
2. Use these features with very good lighting.
3. Use a tripod for long telephoto stills.
4. Minimize use of zoom in video, especially when extended more than half way out.

I wish these issues with the HS20 could be overcome. Who knows, if there are exceptional improvements in these areas demonstrated by the HS30, I might be tempted.

Last edited by gfmucci; Jan 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:03 AM   #16

the sx1 is for pixel peepers like myself and the hs20 are just for average shooters who won't crop anything.

with the sx1, you can crop images and still enjoy noiseless or near noiseless pictures....something i seen some people complain about.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:00 PM   #17

Too radical thoughts !!!
So you think people with HS-20 can't crop ? And at the same time to show a good quality ?

Do you really know what hs 20 can ?

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote