Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:39 PM   #1
Default HELP! Camera not detected

Hi, I bought the FinePix JX370 last month, I installed FinePix studio onto my laptop and had no luck connecting, I unistalled/Re-installed several times and still no luck. The camera connects straight away when used with other PC's/Laptops.
When I went onto control panel; device manager. The camera was shown in the unspecified tab as USB PTP with the yellow triangle error sign.
I then right clicked and went to troubleshoot, it then came up with The driver for USB PTP is not installed. Install the latest driver for the device.
I then chose apply fix. It then came up as, USB PTP does not have a driver.
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:37 AM   #2

What Operating System is on the laptop (XP, Vista, Win 7, etc.)?

You'll need to make sure it's updated to the latest Service Packs from Microsoft for starters. Fuji's software requires XP with Service Pack 3, Vista with Service Pack 2, or Win 7 with Service Pack 1 to work properly.

So, if you're using a Windows version without the latest service packs installed (for example, XP with only SP1 or SP2), that may be causing the problem installing the drivers. So, you may want to insure your Operating System is updated with the latest patches, then uninstall and resintall Fuji's software again.

See pages 50 through 55 of this manual (starting at page 64 of the .pdf file) for information on installing the software (making sure you allow it to install the latest Microsoft .net framework and more during the process). But, you'll need to make sure your Windows installation is up to date with Microsoft updates (including Service Packs) first.

Some cameras have the ability to change the USB Transfer mode to Mass Storage versus PTP (so that you don't need working PTP drivers). But, your Fuji model doesn't have that ability. I'm seeing the same trend with other brands, too (for example, newer Canon and Nikon models are PTP only). So, you'll need to use an Operating System that allows those drivers to work in order to transfer photos from a directly attached camera.

But, note that using a USB attached SDHC card reader is another option for transferring your images (if your laptop doesn't have one built in). They're very inexpensive. That's the way I transfer my images (use a card reader versus a directly attached camera).

That way (using a card reader), you have a USB Mass Storage compliant device that acts just like any other disk drive (versus using PTP like many cameras do now).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote