Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:46 PM   #1
Default Fuji hs20exr-night photography

Hi,I have recently bought this camera and was wondering what is the best setting(s) to shot at night,eg The moon etc.I have tried a few and just keep getting blurry images.
PAT SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:59 AM   #2

HS-20 is really good camera, if you have enough light for the pictures .
It is not so good if you talk for night photos ... Has a lot of noise in the dark areas even on low ISO. Low ISO should give you best performances of the camera but it is obligatory to have an tripod and maybe it would be best to use EXR low noise mode.
For non-tripod photos, I'll propose same mode with ISO put on 400 or 800, sometimes 1600.
On this camera, for static pictures is also very good the Adv. mode "Pro low light".

And just for the moon shots where this camera is really good are in M mode.
With settings : ISO 100, Aperture 5.6, Full Zoom, shutter speed about 1/320 and you can vary the speed to gain better exposure.

I think this is all what I can tell you for about year and a half of use and after about 40 000 shots.

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:54 PM   #3

G'day Pat

As a "new-starter" with the camera, I would suggest several things-
a) set ISO=Auto, and
b) set camera operation to Program, and
c) set WB to sunny day

and go out over several evenings and take some photos out around the town and see how they come out

I suggest the above as a starting point - you'll be able to get shop windows, street scenes etc etc and see the basic capabilities of the camera.

Then you can look at the EXIF data [if you don't know how - in Windows right-clik on photo & choose 'properties>details'] and the EXIF data will tell you what settings the camera used. If you memorise some of them, it will help you do it yourself later on

Equally, you might find that the camera does a good enough job by itself that you don't have to go into DIY mode [called M Manual] for your night photography.

At some point you will start to notice "funny coloured splotches" in the dark areas - this is the noise that BB above is talking about - if there's lots of it, it might disappoint you - if there's not much at all, you might not have much to worry about

Whatever way it goes - enjoy your night photography
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote