Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Default HS20 sport mode

Is there any way to increase the shutter priority in the "sport" mode? I end up not using it because there's too much blur so I use shutter mode instead but then what's the point of the "sport" setting and custom positions on the dial?

Ideally I'd like to have the dial button give me faster shutter speed sport + continious shooting mode.

Thanks,
mcewena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:04 PM   #2

G'day mate

As I understand things, the Sports mode will select the fastest possible shutter speed for the prevailing light conditions and at the same time, the camera is switching iso up and down the iso range

So in very bright sun, the camera might select iso-200 because it can give you a shutter speed of 1/1000sec perhaps ... while indoors, in order that it can give you 1/125sec, the iso will be boosted to iso-1600 perhaps

It's all designed to give a good result for users who do not know anything about shutter speeds & camera controls

Once you go to Shutter mode [or Aperture mode] you take control of shutter / Aperture and you need to modify the iso settings as required

You might like to do a quick test at home - set 'Sports' mode and pretend to take pix inside and out the window and as you 1/2-press the button the camera will show you its settings. If the iso is not moving up/down, then you might need to preset the iso up to a higher level in order to get your higher speeds

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day mate

As I understand things, the Sports mode will select the fastest possible shutter speed for the prevailing light conditions and at the same time, the camera is switching iso up and down the iso range
That's what I thought too but the the shutter speed it picks isn't fast enough to capture moving cars at any speed even in full sunlight. If I set the camera to manual mode it works fine.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:10 PM   #4

mcewna... what you're experiencing is quite common for most "sports" scene modes on many a camera- they rarely seem to select a shutter speed fast enough... seemingly thinking that selecting a burst mode will suffice... which rarely does..!
You'd be far better sticking to shutter priority,select the shutter speed you want- and then select auto iso for correct exposure...
If in very bright conditions the aperture won't close up enough- increase the shutter speed...

beware also the AF point you use- centre AF might be better suited (and more accurate) for tracking a subject moving,though if your fairly close to your subject,multi AF should suffice...

Last edited by SIMON40; Mar 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:12 PM   #5

Don't forget you probably have to change the focus mode on the camera too so you are using your camera's version of continuous focus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:51 AM   #6

Thanks guys.

Yeah I've gotten decent shots outside the sports mode, it's just frustrating that there's a preset button on the dial that doesn't seeem to include the things I want to pre set.... like fast shutter, AF and continous frame capture etc...