Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 1, 2004, 8:24 AM   #1
Default A theory on compression

I have noticed that the new 4th gen Fuji cameras seem to have much more JPEG compression for the same resolution, compared with the 3rd gen cameras.

I am wondering if Fuji have hit some sort of limit with their 4th gen stuff and are hiding it under heavy compression.

I asked Fuji of they had any firmware updates planned and was told that none were.

Personally I can live with large Jpeg files - what I don't want is the loss of quality that I can see in the images of 4th vs 3rd. I would have got the F7000 if it wasn't for that. [I have the F602 and a 401 now]

So, anyone know the right reasons ?

alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 11:02 PM   #2
Default Not trying to hid anything

I don't think it has to do with limits of less compressed files or it would show in RAW mode and those images look great. I think a firmware upgrade could be an easy fix but I havent seen any firmware upgrades on Fuji cameras ever posted on their website so I wouldn't anticipate any. Although RAW fills up a memory card, you can batch proccess them and get exceptional quality.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 6:14 AM   #3

My local camera shop tests and reviews the cameras they sell pretty rigorously, and provide a folder of prints from each for inspection. This is what Steve, their tester said in his recent comparative review.....

>>16th FEB 2004 ... nearly 1 month on from the test & i have had time to test 3 of the cameras both at home & abroad in Lanzarote . The 3 cameras are the Pentax 555 , the Fuji 601 , & the Fuji 610 . My oppinion of the Pentax & the 601 remains the same - they are both fabulous cameras . The Fuji 610 is not the same though . My original thaughts remain the same in that i feel Fuji should have offered different compression settings throughout the pixel range because i feel that the file sizes are far too small to get the quality from all the range . In its basic setting though you do get as good as others 7x5 pictures . I have now found though that using the 12 million interpolated mode does give incredible results even if it does take up a lot of space per picture on your memory card . I used a 256 megabyte xD card to help overcome this problem . Picture quality when using the 12 million mode was incredible - even at A2 size the pictures are very sharp - better than any other cameras tested here .<<

So maybe the 7000 would also do well in its interpolated mode, at the cost of storage space.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote