Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:15 AM   #1
Default HS20EXR finally died

I had been having problems with my camera turning itself back on after putting it in the bag. This is why I couldn't figure out why my batteries were almost dead when I would take it out for a shoot. Also when I would push the shutter button, the screen on the back would be half blank on the right hand side. Also, I could not shut the camera off, it would stay on until I opened the battery door. After I figured that out, I took a can of compressed air and blew out the on/off switch, the battery compartment, and anywhere else I could get it into. I re-inserted the batteries, turned it on and VOILA it was working perfect. So I went out to get some awesome fall colors........... took 3 photos and then it happened! I heard a pop and smoke came out every orifice.....waaaah! My camera died. So because I bought it when it first came out, I did not buy the extra protection package, the warranty was gone. I thought " I would give it a decent "coup de Gras" and take it out back and shoot it! I would say I've taken over 5,000 photos with it, and I loved it. My mind's curiosity got the best of me and I did to it what I used to do when I was a young kid with alarm clocks, I started removing every screw I saw, finally got the back off and saw the circuit board. There was a black charred line cutting across from the capacitor (holds the charge for the flash) all the way across the board. I removed the card and batteries, took it out back and shot it with my .38. Don't get me wrong, I loved that camera and would buy another if I can find one. I liked the fact that It could go from 24mm wide all the way up to 750mm zoom all in one lens. I am sure glad I didn't sell my old S2000HD Fuji. Thanks for reading this long winded post. Larry
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.......Cicero
cameras owned and used FujiFilm S2000HD, FujiFilm HS20EXR
just4clix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:33 AM   #2

Not to worry Larry. If I had a FujiFilm HS20EXR and a loaded gun Id probably shoot it too. Only 5000 shots? Wow Im coming up to 100,000 soon and its working just like new. Nikon D7000.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:39 AM   #3

Sorry for your loss just4clix! ;-)
Did you take some action shots of the action?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:38 PM   #4

Only 5,000 pictures?? I have the HS20, and I have taken way more than 5k. I'm approaching 20,000 with mine, and it is still going strong.. HOWEVER, I am looking at upgrading to the HS50..
Weapons of choice:

FujiHS20 (used all the time)
Nikon Coolpix L24 (used all the time)
Nikon D60 DSLR (rarely used anymore)
Olympus 8000 (never used anymore, as I lost my data cable).
Pantharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:17 PM   #5

G'day Larry

Sorry to hear about your camera's self-destruct operation

My first Fuji [the S5000] gave me around 90,000 exposures before the on/off switch started to misbehave ~ and I supposed after that much work, it deserved a 'holiday'

To some degree it sounds like your specific camera had an inherent problem [lemon?] from the beginning. The same seemed to happen with my newer Fuji, the XS-1, where its focusing under certain comditions gave me the heebie-jeebies on too many occasions. Otherwise it was / is a great camera [I even supplied Steve's with a comprehensive review of it some time ago ... it might still be on the system]

It is now in the cupboard doing service as a paperweight, as no-one wants it even as a freebie

I decided not to replace my Fuji with another Fuji as I am very unhappy with the focussing regime of Fuji cameras [not the same thing as above]. It seems to me that although the cameras are advertised as having 'spot' and 'multi' focus modes, the camera never gets out of 'spot' mode ... all that happens in 'multi' mode is that the focus 'spot' moves around the scene, but except for face recognition mode, it never becomes a variety of focus points should the subject require multi-point focussing

Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:04 AM   #6

eBay has a BUNCH of 'em. So does Amazon.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote