Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:12 AM   #1
Default focus assist lamp on g5 but not on s7000

Hey everyone!
I'm thinking about buying the canon g5, which my brother has bought recently, or the fuji s7000.

I think buying the g5 cannot be a wrong decision, since it has so many good features, and its quality seems to be very good.

but i find the s7000 is much more ergonomic shaped, and I like its features, too.

the only thing, I am a bit worried about is: how does the s7000 focus correctly at low light conditions without having an assistant focus illuminator?

the s5000 is interesting too, but it has a max. 2sec shutter-time, ( i cannot understand, why they made this... )
stef-vdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:22 AM   #2

How many people use shutter times longer than 2s? Sure you need it for SOME night scenes, but that's about it. I'd say less than 3% of your shots are night scenes anyway.

Why they did it? Some might say it was marketing...others that s5k would have exhibit a lot of hot pixels using shutter times longer than 2s.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:20 PM   #3

It's 3 secs!
mike from liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:43 PM   #4
Default S7000 good in low light

I had both a Canon G5 and the Fuji S7000. And believe it or not the Fuji did much better than the Canon in low light. Not sure why its that way but the Fuji just seems to shine in low light situations. It does have some type of hybrid focus assist that works well in low light situations. I often had blurry pictures with the Canon in low light and you had to be relatively close. One not in auto mode you can only go to 1/4 second so if your in to very long exposures you need to go manual shutter.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:26 AM   #5

I have a Fuji S7000 and there are no low light autofocus issues at all. It can focus better than most cameras in low light conditions but you may not be able to see the image in the EVF very well, the recorded image will be in focus though.
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:22 PM   #6

Originally Posted by mike from liverpool
It's 3 secs!
You're mistaking, it's 2 sec.
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote