Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Default Looking for tips and tricks for S7000

I just got a S7000 am looking for a place to find tips and tricks how to get the most from it. For example easier ways to set focus to infinity, way to reduce the powerful flash, etc.

I've only gone part way through the manual so some of it may be there but I haven't found it yet.

So anyplace with "tips and tricks" besides here :-)
ronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:26 PM   #2

I'm wondering what settings folks are using for everyday shooting myself.
What "film" setting are you using?
12MPf, RAW or 6MP, is there much of a difference?
Anything really.

I haven't played with the "film" settings yet, but what I've read in reviews is mixed about the resolution. I guess that's why I'm asking what you're actually shooting in real life. Is there any reason to shoot 12MPf over 6MP? I can see the gain to shooting RAW, but who does that for everyday shooting?

I'm pretty happy with the pictures I'm getting out of it, but going from 2MP to 6MP, who wouldn't be?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:02 PM   #3
Default There is a lot of difference in 6MP and 12MP F

The standard 6MP mode in the S7000 is compressed at a much higher rate than the 12MP mode. The 12MP images have a lot more details and less noise. An easy way to tell this is to take a 12MP image and then resize it with software to the same size as the 6MP image. There is a major difference. Also if you have to crop an image a lot, the 12MP gives you that advantage.

Some Tips I use frequently
1) Try the scene modes, they work very good ("SP" on dial). I have tried them with varied results on different brands but the Fuji seems to do better than what I have seen in the past. The action mode for instance, stops action like it should without blurring the shots.

2) Get close with portraits and shoot sideways with the camera. It will catch incredible detail on your subject including vivid eye color when the flash is used.

3) The ring on the lense works well for zooming in. Its more like an SLR feel.

4) Use the Macro function. I have started using it more and more. Take pictures of things like flowers, bugs and everyday objects. Its amazing afterwards to look at the large images on your screen and see the details normally missed by the human eye.

5) Use a fast memory card. The camera write rate is fast, and when I used a standard CF memory card I found it had a lot of write errors waiting for the files to be written to the card. I have used serveral high speed cards and have never had the issue.

6) Take a lot of pictures and have a lot of fun. The S7000 is truely one of the best of many prosumer/consumer digicams I have owned. I haven't had a Digital SLR. Fuji has a winning product with the S7000. Its too bad many of the review sites didn't look at it as a 6MP camera and really didn't seem to give the camera a fair shot.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote