Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Default Fijifilm FinePix S5000 Z vs.Canon PowerShot S1 IS

Hi, all!

I want to buy a digicam of about 3 million pixels and powerful optics. Some friends of mine recommended me these cams:

Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Fijifilm FinePix S5000 Z

Can you give me some advise and personal impressions with them?
Some pros and cons, maybe?

Thanks a lot

P.S. I'll post this message at the Canon forum, too, to get feedback from the other perspective
quanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 3:00 PM   #2

veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:50 PM   #3

well i recently purchased the canon powershot SI 1S and i took it out of the box and put the memory card in it and it wouldnt read the card. I even tried a new 512 meg card and it wouldnt read it either. I called cannon and they said it was defective to ship it to the factory and i would have to pay for shipping and handling even though i just bought it that day and it didnt work. Thank god i purchased it through the dell site they sent someone to pick it up at no expense to me and refunded my money. I will not ever buy anything from canon a gain the guy at cannon was even rude. I always order any products from dell, after they took that camera back i ordered a fuji S5100 from dell
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:52 PM   #4

oh yeah and the S5100 is 4 megapixel
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:32 AM   #5

I had the similar results with a defective Canon S1 from Dell, it worked for about 3 days then went dead. I had an S5100 to compare to also, IMHO the S5100 is better. The S1 had alot more noise, in low light pics & video, then the S5100, Also it had more trouble focusing (ittook longer, and sometimes never did focus) under these same conditions. Finally the S5100 was faster operating all around,plus, the S1pics were softer. The S1EVF wasn't as good, andit was heavier, although smaller, and not as ergonomic. The S5100appears to be an active "eveready" camera!,,, the Canon went back.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:30 PM   #6

The S5100 was the cam I had before upgrading to DSRL.

Is a Great Camera.

Now here´re the Cons:

No hotShoe for external flash and not even a connector. So don´t think about attaching a flash to it.

Viewfinder is nice,... but retains bright pixels for a time when you switch faster from Play mode to Camera mode (this kinda scared me).

And one thing you will feel with this cam is that you are "almost there..." a great Zoom, nice lense, great SRL looking,...

If you like photography you will want a DSRL soon

Finishing with this,... the FujiFilm Fineix S5100 is an excelent Choise!

Highly Recommended!

SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote