Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:58 AM   #1
Default S7000 and Magicstor Drive: slow or card error

I got a Magicstor drive and starting taking pics and movies with it. Nice to be able to take 30min video or 3000+ pictures!!!

So when I hook the camera directly to me PC or mac, I copy about 20-30 pics, and the copy progress locks up.. like it just hangs..
but I plug the microdrive into a USB card reader and it goes fine.

Also, I record a movie on it and when I go to play it back in-camera, I get about 3 seconds and then I get a "Card Error" on the display... but I copy the move to the computer and its fine, no corruption.

Anyone else experience this or have tips to use the microdrive?
ericmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:53 PM   #2

Sorry no news for you but I am thinking of purchasing this microdrive. Have you had any more luck with it. I do have a CF USB adapter is it much hassle taking it out of the cam and using the adapter to get round the problem?
jwarburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:11 PM   #3

I haven't had any problems since then.. I think the problem was that there was one corrupted picture that was causing the hangup.. because I copied some individually until I got the corrupted one to "fail".
I formated the drive in the camera and haven't had that problem since..

The only other problem is that when I try to play back movies in the camera, I get a card eror, but the movies are not corrupted... might have something to do with read speed or something.. weird...

and... if I plug the camera into my mac, the next time I turn on the camera, It takes a REALLY long time to start up.. I think it's because OSX puts those stupid .dStore files in the directories so the camera gets confused... so once I dump everying, I format the card in the camera and am up and running.

But the issues, are just that. issues, and don't make me second-guess using the drive one bit..

ericmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:44 PM   #4
Default I'd be cautious with the Magicstor

It seems quite a few people have had issues with Magicstor. They get hot and don't work in some cameras.

The IBM Drives don't suffer the same problems you mentioned here. I have never gotten any write errors at all, even with long video clips. IBM has been very reliable and very fast. Only about 200.00US for 1GIG which is a very good deal for a fash card considering a XD card at 512 is nearly that price. You also get 217 pictures at the best resolution. 15 minutes of 640x480 video.

I did have a slow 1.5 MPS CF flash card that had write errors like you talked about but it seemed to be the speed of the drive that caused the problems.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote