Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 19, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1

I am dying to get my hands on one of the HITACHI 4GB MicroDrive CF
II's, but know that my Fuji s602 Zoom may not be compatible.

I have called Fuji amd they said NO because the format in my camera is FAT16 and these drives are FAT32. But I am getting conflicts elesewhere. Please help me make the right choice.

I am either going to get the Microdrive or a more current camera like the S7000. But I LOVE my 602 to death!

What is the most memory I canuseplug and play without having to reformat?

MammaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 9:40 PM   #2

I personally use Ridata 52X 2GB CF and it's FAST and reliable. Re the 4GB issue, I look at it like this -
You can go the Muvo2 path and get 4GB for US$200, which is a bargain !! You can then either JUST use 2GB and stay with STANDARD FAT16 or format with 64K clusters (under XP). Even though there are a couple of issues to watch out for, MANY people are using it fine. Issues are simply 1)Incorrect #shots displayed and 2) Attempting to do an .avi movie greater than 2GB in ONE shot will corrupt the CF. That's it.
Even if you only use the 2GB, which is nearlt the samecost as a 2.2GB drive, one day you may update your cam and always keep the 4GB drive. MD's are noticeably slower than the Ridata CF, but only an issue IF you do TIFFs or 5fps bursts all the time (like I do :-))
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 1:32 PM   #3

The S7000 isn't the answer since it is also FAT16. With a 1GIG microdrive in the 602 you should be able to get a lot of pictures. My 1GIG in a s7000 gets 217 at the best setting. Buy 2 if you need more. That way if one goes bad, you have a backup instead of relying on 1 drive.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:06 AM   #4

How do you just use 2gb on the 4gb hitachi? I have Win2k but have access to XP...Win2k computer mngmt won't allow me to partition the drive to format Fat16 on 2gb. I believe maybe because it reads the USB as a removable disk instead of fixed...which it won't delete the partition. Help if you can! :?
hikingal is offline   Reply With Quote