Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:24 AM   #11

and finally the last replay from fuji i got.
Dear Sir

Thank you for your e-mail.
We are sorry to inform you that there are no considerations to change
current model pallet via firmware.

Kind regards

Tania Kliebenschädel
FUJIFILM (Switzerland) AG

no need to comment this thou!
Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:36 PM   #12

I realize I may open a can of worms by saying this, but I've worked with Asians before (as in FROM Asia, not "Asian-Americans), and I've actually had a couple of them admit to me that "listening to consumer comments is not a priority" among many Asian companies.

This of course would explain why Fuji still makes so many models that have no quality/compression settings in them OR auto focus assist lights - even though all of the major reviews (online and in print) have been telling them they NEED to add these features. You have to either be very stupid, or as I was told, "don't care what people think", in order to not listen to these. They said money talks, and once sales drop or enough models are dud-sales, then improvements are made.

Oh well... so much for the power of consumers, huh?

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:18 PM   #13

I have a feeling they are not flash updatable. Even when they had the battery issue with the S7000 you had to send the camera into them to fix. I have looked through their site repeatedly and have not found one update every on any camera they have produced. They may be using a standard firmware chip not a flash chip. That would require them to take out the old chip and put ina new one to replace it. If I had a broken one laying around I would be tempted to pull it appart and see what is inside.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my S7000 and would buy it again, but I think the company basically doesn't have a feel for the market. They haven't changed the basic camera design for a long time and the lense is the same. Then they produce a new 1000.00 camera thats only 3MP in the same basichousing and lense. They don't offer different compression settings accept on the highest setting. When questioned about anything they have a form response, we appreciate you comments. Canon, Minota, Olympus, Sony all offer firmware updates from time to time.
host is offline   Reply With Quote