Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 4, 2004, 5:45 AM   #1

There may be a technical term for the problem I have but as a novice I don't know what it is.

When taking picyures in sunlight with my s304 there are patches of bleached out areas where the sun is bright. The two examples I am posting show a man with a bleached out face standing by a trampoline, the sun was behind me when shooting this one.

Also a picture of some children at a theme park with the ground bleached out.

Any ideas if my camera is faulty, its brand new and i'm inclined to return it if its not right. This is the first use of this s304, Ijust got it as a replacement fora stolen finepix 2800z which to me was 'the business'.
Attached Images
AntCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:31 PM   #2

Your issue is not the bleaching out but Photogeometry. The default on most cameras uses a average exposure in auto setting for the entire image. If most of the area as in your photos is at a certain light level, the exposure will be closest to that area of exposure. The solution is normally to use a "spot" setting where you point the camera on the specific subject you want properly exposed and it uses that to set your exposure. Not sure about the S304 because I am unfarmiliar with that model, but you may want to look in your manual to see if it has the photogeometry setting option
host is offline   Reply With Quote