Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 8, 2004, 6:43 PM   #1

.....with the Fuji FinePix F700! And I mean lousy pics. None of the pics are as sharp and in focus as I am used to. While I realize that there is the potential to "fix" all these images using photoediting software, I want something that gives me clear, crisp images out of the box with minimal input from me.I actually like my Fuji 2800 better as the pics are always in focus, sharp and clear.

I would like to upgrade though. I thought the F700 would have been the correct upgrade but I was obviously wrong. Is there a Fuji camera out there that combines the image quality of the 2800 with the vivid colors and between pics speed of the F700? Or have Fuji cameras changed so much over the years that the F700 interpolated image with the super CCD is as good as it gets?? I am trying to figure which camera to try next and am wondering if I should steer clear of Fuji all together now.

Thanks for reading this.
lizmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:25 PM   #2

I replied to your other post. But, I'll reply to your post here as well, rather than simply point you to the original post -- although, it can be confusing tracking two similar posts.

Just out of curiosity, are these indoor photos, and is your primary problem "soft" pics?

After seeing your post, I took some time to look through some image albums taken by the F700, and noticed a very interesting trend. I have since verified that this is it's normal behavior by searching through some forums.

Using flash, in Auto ISO, the cameraroutinely boosts ISO speed, in a range fromISO 400 to 800 indoors (with stops in between like ISO 640).

It also appears to use a relatively aggressive noise reduction system when it does boost ISO, blurring detail. This is no surprise, given the amount it's boosting it, while maintaining relatively low visible noise. :-)

So, I strongly suspect that if you simply change the ISO speed to 200 (versus using Auto ISO), it will eliminate the blurring of detail you are seeing. This will have the impact of reducing the flash range (which was already better than most compact models anyway -- probably because it was boosting the ISO speed to get the extra range).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:58 AM   #3

Again, thanks for your replies to this and the other thread. It was very nice of you to help me.

lizmd is offline   Reply With Quote