Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:18 AM   #1

I have a 2800 zoom about 2.5 years old. When new it took perfectly exposed pictures in bright sunny conditions even when set to fully automatic.

Now to get acceptable results in sunny conditions I have to use the max EV adjustment of minus 1.5. Set to automatic with no EV it overexposes hopelessly. On cloudy days it tend to overexposure but not so much. Once again I'd emphasise that when new the camera would take perfectly exposed shots in bright or dull conditions.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I am thinking that the shutter timing might be wrong. Or some problem with the CCD.
Can exposure systems on digital cameras degrade over time perhaps??

So any suggestions or comments would be very welcome!

Plane Man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:39 PM   #2

You're just going to have toclean the lens every two years or so!:-) :lol:

Actually, I would check it to make sure it's not just smudged, or maybe even has some condensation on the inside (stranger things have happened).

I don't know what to tell you, other than to try resetting the camera to factory defaults. If your model doesn't have a menu choice for this, you may want to try leaving the batteries out for 24 hours or so (some models will "reboot" to factory default settingsafter the internal battery/capacitor discharges fully).

You may want to try a different set of batteries, too. Sometimes, power problems manifest themselves in strange ways.

As far as CCD aging -- well, I've got an old Nikon Coolpix 950 that still works fine. Althougha CCD can age and develop bad pixels over time, it's probably not what's causing your problem (although, I wouldn't rule anything out).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:24 AM   #3

Thanks Jim,

I will check out all those suggestions. Especially about trying a different set of batteries. I am using rechargeable batteries which are same age as camera.

Since writing my first post I took some photos in very bright sun but later in the day around 4pm. I found that I had to use EV adjustment but only minus 1.2 instead of 1.5 to get really nice results.

Thanks again for your ideas. :idea:

Plane Man2 is offline   Reply With Quote