Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 15, 2005, 12:48 PM   #1

I am considering buying the Finepix F10 but I have a couple of questions that I hope this forum will be able to shed some light on. First and most troubling, one of the reviews that I read on this camera was very positive except for build quality. It said that the autofocus mechanism was very noisy--enough to be disturbing. Second, lack of dynamic range and contrast control seems to be an issue.

If anyone has some insight on these issues, I would be very interested in hearing them.

randyk@astate.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 1:39 PM   #2

OK, auto ISO mode is crap. It's not advisable anyway using auto ISO mode. So do it yourself: set ISO rate e.g. at 80, 100, 200, even 400 is virtually noise-free!
Do it once and you're done ...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 6:41 PM   #3

I am sorry that I was misleading. I didn't mean digital noise. I meant mechanical noise. I don't have any problem manually setting the ISO.

My concern was the mechanical noise reported in the review and the limite dynamic range and no contrast control.

randyk@astate.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 10:09 PM   #4

just got my f10 yesterday. autofocus is a bit noisy. but i can live with it. especially once i see the pics it takes. simply amazing. i also have an fz20 and it can be frustrating at times to be unable to use high iso's. actually, i really didnt think they were that bad, until i saw what the f10 can do. as for the other issues, i cant comment on those yet. but at this point in time, i think this f10 is a gem of a camera.
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 8:14 PM   #5

I know that the Fuji F-10 is really your wife's digital camera. However, can you share some high ISO setting images with us please??

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:08 AM   #6

I have been looking at the camera also. It seems pretty quick. The higher ISO sounds like a great feature. Also the review says it has good resolution. It sounds like quit the camera for the price and size. I don't know how shutter lag compares to other point and shoot digital cameras but it seems quick. Can you share a picture or two
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:41 AM   #7

I've had my F10 about a week now. Focus noise... zoom noise...? you've got to be kidding. Its night here, the kids are in bed and the house is very silent, its a bit of a 'whirling' but if where was any activity going on I wouldn't have even thought of 'noise'.

Built quality, this was very high on my list, I like a quality camera - and this is one nice little unit, very solid feel and fits well in the hand. Its not as stylish as the Canon SD500, and no, it does not have the manual setting I would have liked, but as a quick to use 'point and shoot' the image quality is fantastic.

In short: very long battery life, extremely fast start up and operation, very good image quality - sharp and good contrast, and in low light there is nothing else like it in the compact camera range, with a f2.8-f5 maximum aperture this is a real advantage, pictures actually look like you remember with little noise, even in very low light and ISO set to 800, and does 'magic' even at 1600 ISO.

The 2.5" screen is nice, especially when reviewing photos, but a bit dim in bright light and I would have liked a higher resolution screen.

All in all, if you can get along without the manual settings, this is the best image maker in compact camera at this time I feel.
dreamsandart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:12 PM   #8

I got to hold one and test it out very very briefly and like dreamsandart says, it's more of a whirring sound. In everyday situations I can't see where it would be a problem. Now maybe if you were in a public library a few feet away from the librarian you might get a "SHHHH!" out of them, but it's not super loud.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:43 PM   #9

The F10 sounds good. I have a baby, soon to be toddler. Would this camera be good for pictures of him? As I'm sure you know, babies don't always hold still! :-)

I'm very new to the digital camera thing, so your opinion would be really appreciated.

llilred is offline   Reply With Quote