Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Fuji Finepix S602 or Nikon Coolpix 5700?
Fuji S602 1 100.00%
Nikon Coolpix 5700 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 7, 2003, 9:32 PM   #11

Addressing the 5700 vs s602 issue:

Pros for each:

Pros S602:
-minimal shutter lag/incomparable burst modes(last 5 mode)
-Color Accuracy
-Dynamic Range(actually, 602 has best dynamic range of any -prosumer camera currenlty offered)
-more ISO settings

Pros 5700:
-Higher resoluton(but extinction point only higer by approx. 7% vertically and horiztonally, as confimred by measured target test)
-better lens(slightly less CA and slightly sharper far corners)
-Greater Zoom
-That name that instills confidence/pride in you(NIKON). :-)
-TTL flash support

Which of these features is more important for you? Let's consider still shots. For outdoor shots, the s602 is superior IMO. Due to it's increased color accuracy(requires manual white balance) and superior dynamic range. In controlled lighting, dynamic range is not an issue, so the 5700's slight resolution edge may make for a higher fidelity image in this case. As well, the 5700's automatic metering and zoom ability support for Nikon dedicated TTL flashes a nice convenence to have.

I can not say either camera is better than the other, unless specific paramters are needed that allow one to be edged out from the other.

Which features are more important to you?

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 9:07 PM   #12

Hi all!
I've been enjoying the conversation in this thread and thought I'd chime in. One of my "needs" when I was looking to go digital was that I would end up with a picture with enough resolution to use for a magazine cover. So, during my "trial" period from Ritz Camera I wanted to push the print size as far as I could. I took some of my "test" shots to the publisher that does our company magazine and asked them to give me an opinion. Their answer "It looks good, give us some $ and we'll put it through the process and see what it looks like". I wasn't too interested in buying an 8x10 magazine cover to hang on my wall so I took the file down to the local photo shop and sent the .tif file in for a couple 20" x 30" poster size prints (.jpg compression doesn't make it when you push it this far). I was surprised at the results! I showed them to one of my coworkers and instantly lost one of the prints to a space on the wall of the office she works at. The other hangs in the office where I work. :lol:

Other than soom very minor CA (I see because I tend to look for those things) on the fringes between white and black in a few spots, the clairity, color and detail is fantastic. They are as good or better than the poster prints I've done from my slr. I have not once regretted my choosing the "cheaper" camera (I too looked at the 5700).

Just thought I'd let everyone know, in my opinion, 8x10 need NOT be the limit for this little 3Mpixl super CCD camera.
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote