Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Fuji Finepix S602 or Nikon Coolpix 5700?
Fuji S602 1 100.00%
Nikon Coolpix 5700 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:49 PM   #1
Default Fuji FinePix S602 or shell out more for Nikon Coolpix 5700?

I seem to be drawn to the Fuji S602 due to the fast shutter, zoom and the price. I also like the slr type camera style. I will be shooting alot of indoor volleyball, children indoors and would love some night shots.
I'm concerned about the absence of a focus assist light on the Fuji. I'm also attracked to the 5 mega pixels of the Nikon. Will the Nikon be fast enough for indoor sports? Please help. I'm tired of reseaching! :roll:
Thinking about the Olympus C-730 as another option.
Thanks for sharing your wealth of experience.
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:55 AM   #2

Hi Trudy
I am thinking of buying the Fuji S602.
My mate has the older version: 6900 and i borrowed it over Christmas. The photos were of excellent quality. Crisp and true colours. They were all taken on the "Normal" 1m setting too!

I loved the feel of the camera and how easy it was to learn. After looking at the newer version, the S602 i am edging towards getting it.

Just need to get some funds together now to buy it!
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 1:09 PM   #3

Hi Trudy
I've never tried Indoor Volley shots. However, as far as I remember, these competitions are well lighted, it's not like a Supercross or a karting race, so I think the cam will be able to focus correctly.
Be carefull however, cause action shots ask for a high speed and high apperture value. And high apperture value + zoom means minimal field depth...
Sport is one of the most demanding shot you can to an optic anyway... and I'm interested in having the results when you'll get your cam
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:42 AM   #4
Default Don't forget the Olympus 5050

I too have been researching on which camera to buy. When it came down to my final decision it was between the Olympus 5050 and Fuji S602. I ruled out the Nikon 5700 because of its price and being too menu driven. For the price of the Nikon, I figure if I'm going to spend that much, I might as well get a DSLR. I'm not quite ready to spend that much just yet. For the cost of a Nikon 5700, one could buy the camera, batteries+charger, flash memory, and add-on lenses. 8)

What makes the S602 a great value are it's features and price point ratio. Here are the features that stood out for me:

~$503-618 online,
-ISO 100/200/400 and 800/1600 at 1 MegaPixel Mode.
-Dual Media Slots
-VGA resolution video@30fps limited only by flash capacity
-Continuous shooting; last 5 pictures option
-Enough resolution to print decent 8x10's (I've read about others printing larger formats with great results).
-6x optical zoom
-Excellent battery life, accepts alkaline and Nimh AA's.

The camera itself feels good in my hands with decent weight, but not too heavy. Construction feels and looks good, it definitely doesn't look and feel a toy. With my first digital camera being a Fuji 2600, I'm partial to Fuji's imaging output--great color, rich and vibrant, nice balance and skin tones. But then again, people who like Fuji images will almost always prefer Fuji cameras. Much is the same for Sony, Nikon, and Olympus users etc., in that they will prefer images from each brand respectively.

Somewhat OT, the Fuji 2600 itself is a great camera. I'm still impressed with the images this lil' baby cranks out, even though it's only 2MP's. When I want to travel reallly light, you know which camera I'm going to bring.

If you aren't a pixel hound, or always looking at pictures through a loop, then you really can't go wrong with the Fuji 602. I know that this post has been Fuji-centric, but to answer the question about the Nikon being fast enough, I believe it would be. Anyway, back to Fuji, hehe, addressing the 602's weaknesses... :?

-no lowlight AF assist
-only 3MP sensor
-uses hotshoe triggering for flash (no TTL metering function for flash)
-lack of PC sync for flash
-lack of threaded cable shutter release button
-can't copy files between media (Smart media -> Compact Flash or MicroDrive and vice versa)
-firmware not upgradable :x

As long as you're not taking shots in pitch black, you will be fine. There's always the manual focus. It's imaging sensor is only 3MP, but offers an "interpolated" 6MP output. In actuality, it's image quality is somewhere around 4MP. I've read about people taking a 6MP picture and resampling it down to 3MP producing sharper images than taking the picture at the 3MP setting. As for the flash issue, if you know how to manually operate a flash, or get or already own a non-dedicated auto flash,...no problem. As for the PC flash sync output, hotshoe to pc adapters are available. The lack of a threaded shutter release button, can be worked around by using the 2 sec timer. It's a bummer that Fuji doesn't release firmware upgrades, especially for a prosumer camera, as other manufacturers do. The first on my list would be able to transfer files between flash memory when both are inserted. Life goes on, and I can live it.

Anyway, I could go on and on but I think I'll leave it at that. I've decided to go with the Fuji, if you didn't already notice. In your decision making, use common sense, pick that camera suits your needs and personal tastes. I chose the Fuji based on my research, needs, tastes, and of course budget. If you're lucky enough to know a retailer in your area that will let you "test drive" these cameras, I suggest doing that. Make your own comparisons and take your pick thus.

Good luck in your shopping and research endeavors and let us know which camera you go with. 8)
Alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:09 PM   #5

I agree. The s602z is a great deal.....that is unless you care about image quality, durability, accessory options, optics, etc..... The nikon is justifiably more money. If you are serious about this purchase go for the 5700.
MizzleJizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:42 PM   #6

I just purchased an s602, chose it over the Dimage 7i and the 5700 for a couple of reasons:
1. I won't ever print anything larger than an 8x10 so the 3+ MP is just fine
2. I am a paintball player, it has the faster shutter speed for actions shots
and finally what really sold me
3. The video is what really sold me, FMV at 30fps at VGA is wonderful for sports and you get 15m of it with a microdrive!

Hope this helps.
rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 1:59 PM   #7

Alakai makes the case for information. The 5700 is expensive, may have low light focusing problems, and uses its own battery. Propriety and expensive if you desire to have spares. It may have its own problems using flash.

That said, it's a good camera, a lot more expensive then the Fuji, and it has more resolution, if you really need it.

Some times I think the resolution issue is overplayed. Most users don't make 16 x 20 picturers and usually 8 x 10 is what most printers can handle.

With either camera you may encounter shutter lag. That means that the picutre you saw in the LCD or eye level finder may not be the actual picture that is recorded. You can minimize this by usuing the manual mode and anticipating the action you wish to record.

Either camera is more SLR like then say a Oly 5050 or other viewfinder camera. Frankly, I think you would be happy with either, money can be a consideration, and chosing will drive you nuts.
Ron Kaplansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 6:15 PM   #8
Default Sold on the Fuji S602

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I decided for my first digital camera I wanted to keep the costs in control. I have had the S602 for a few weeks now and so far so good. I have had some trouble with my indoor volleyball shots but I feel it is mostly due to my lack of knowledge. Trying to find time to learn all about it is the difficult part. I'm happy to report that with all the money I saved on the Fuji vs. the Nikon I can now buy storage, accessories and Adobe Photoshop! I'm taking a night class on Adobe Photoshop! The digital world is awesome
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 1:37 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE>The Fuji S602 is a great camera. I donít shoot volleyball games but about everything else. As stated on your last post the money saved has been well spent and you still have a great camera. Enjoy your S602. Mine is awesome. </BLOCKQUOTE>
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:40 PM   #10

I was at my local camera shop the other day looking at the Fuji s602 and the nikon 5700. The store manager told me that he is able to buy Nikons strait from the company at cost and he would rather pay full price for the fuji because it is a better camera.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote