Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:45 PM   #1

Hello all,

Newbie here!

I just got the S5100 about a week ago. I think i got a good deal on it, i got the camera, a telephoto lens, a wide angle lens, 3 filter lens back, a nylon padded case, full size tripod, 256 meg card, cleaning kit, 55mm adapter ring, rechargeable batteries and a charger for 419.00 plus shipping.

anyway, I am looking to go a small shoot for a friend of mines daughters. They want to get into modeling but the $$$ to get professional photos done isn't there. The asked me to help because i have experience in video, the wanted me to do the stills.

I've been reading everything i can on still photography, but i still need help. they are wanting to do a shoot on the beach, i live in Florida. I, personally, don't have the funds to throw around for lights and shades and whatnot.

Is there cheap ways to get some of the stuff needed? like i seen an article on making a remote shutter controller for the camera. I'll be making one soon

Is there more how-to's for a poor photographer?

vanklagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:18 PM   #2

I can't help you but the only thing I have done in the past with beach pictures or when I wanted to pictures of my kids at the pool for "team portait" I did it on over cast days. Not beatiful sonny days. You had less glare and didn't have to deal with squinting, shadows etc....

Good luck! I have the same camera and have gotten some really good shots!
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:22 PM   #3

The 5100 is an excellent camera. You have experience shooting video, but from the sounds of things you have very little experience in still photography. In my opinion, you are out of your element of expertise. It doesn't matter how good (or mediocre) your camera is, if you don't have the technique learned and in your head so you don't really have to even think about it, I suspect you will have only moderate success with your shoot. If you are looking for "cheap" ways to do things, you might consider finding a couple of large pieces of white Styrofoam that you might be able to have someone hold to provide you with some fill light. But you had better be prepared to take a lot of images in hopes of getting a few that will be usable. One thing is for sure. After you have done this shoot, you will know a heck of a lot more than you do right now.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote