Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:18 PM   #1

I have been curious about how I can be sure of the "normal" perspective on my 5100.
To match the 5100's viewfinder display perspective to what I see looking through a 35 mm camera's 50 mm lens, I have to zoom to a telephoto setting (aperture:3), albeit a low one. This will sound stupid, but I am not satisfied zooming in "a bit" to get a more normal perspective and then being stuck with a smaller aperture. I'm wondering if there are some 1.5x or so lenses that will allow me the wide-angle f-stop.

Doing some math I have just figured that, on this camera, the 35 mm format 50 mm lens equivalent is approximately 7.7 mm. I am going to take some pictures at various zoom levels and see what the EXIF can tell me.
ohgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:25 PM   #2

What is your concern about having a smaller aperture?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:02 PM   #3

I don'tunderstand your concern of a "normal" perspective through the viewfinder. The image you capture can be resized or cropped with the most basic viewer. You can even trim an image "on camera". The difference between wide and "normal" is 3/10th of an f-stop. That's going from 2.8 to 3.1--It's hardly worth the bother. If you put a lens on it, I bet you'll drop to 3.5 or more.

If you're worried about loosing .3 stop, bump the EV up. If you're worried about the DOF being too great, I don't think .3 stop will make much difference in the range you're trying to shoot.

What are you trying to do?
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote