Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:40 PM   #11

Six, might I suggest you set up a few objects outside your aquarium and practice with macro mode until you get the hang of it a bit better. This will allow you to work on technique without worrying about the fish getting between you and your subject. One other note, I've tried taking a few pics in my freshwater aquarium and sometimes the hood doesn't provide enough light to get a sharp focus. I have a lot of plants in my tank which tend to darken it up a bit. I realize you're shooting a saltwater tank so you likely don't have the plants, but it might be just dark enough to not let the camera focus totally right. Try lighting your tank just a bit more, if you can. You'll get the hang of it, it took me a while with my S5000 before I could get macro the way I wanted it. Another thing is that when you're focused in that close, you have to hold the camera pretty darn still.... are you using a tripod or handheld?
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:29 AM   #12

If I understand your problem correctly, you are having difficulty in getting close enough to your subjects inside the tank. You have tried cropping, but are unsatisfied with the results. I've noticed that you are shooting in the manual mode, at mostly maximum (or close to) wide angle. Right so far?

I can understand you not being able to get close enough, short of putting your camera in the water (LOL). Try taking a few shots in AUTO mode, in MACRO, and use your camera zoom (zoom in as required) to frame your pic. Use a tripod (if you have one to keep the camera steady) or lean the camera on something solid to keep it from moving. Keep both eyes open as you compose your shot, to make sure no fish are about to swim past and then shoot.

Let us know what happens, and we can make adjustments from there.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote