Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:33 PM   #1

The F10 is a very good camera with a couple small UI/exposure problems that keep it from being superior.

I spoke with Fujifilm Support about my issues, and they indicate (as do many companies) that if enough people ask for something that's easy to implement, often it will show up in a firmware update.

Here is my list, in order of importance. I've kept it short so there is a greater probability of the changes actually happening. Also, this is NOT the thread to suggest changes that can't be easily fixed with a software update (like "Can you make it use SD cards like everybody else?" and "Can you make it do more than 3 shots in burst mode?"), or really big changes ("I hate the menu system, can you totally change it to something different?").

#1, by a huge margin: ISO always goes to 800 when flash is used -- even when there is plenty of light available to shoot at a lower ISO. This makes all my flash photos come out with grainy, blurry details, and I have to set the ISO to 100 or 200 to get a decent picture.
I understand why they do this: it allows them to use less flash, which decreases the charge time and lets you take another picture more quickly. However, 99 times out of 100 I just want a decent picture, and don't mind an extra 0.5 seconds of recharge.

Proposed solution: a menu setting for "Flash Setting". "Fastest Cycle" is the current behavior, using high ISO to take in more light. "Best Quality" would use the lowest ISO possible, even allowing a touch of underexposure, in order to get the best picture quality possible.

#2: White balance and exposure compensation should be on the "F" menu when in manual mode. I shouldn't have to dig through the full menu to set them. This is a trivial change and would dramatically increase usability.

#3: When I go to a scene mode that sets the ISO, like night mode, the ISO doesn't go back to where it was when I leave the scene mode. This sucks, because I'll take an underexposed flash shot or two before realizing it's stuck at ISO 100 from being in night scene. I call this a bug.

#4: A shutter priority scene mode. Full manual really isn't important to me, since the lens is small enough that you don't get much DOF anyway. This will solve most people's need for fireworks photography, action shots, and other special situations.

So: what are YOUR little pet peeves? If we can get a small ticklist that everyone agrees with, we can start bothering Customer Service -- and if enough of us do it, maybe a firmware update will occur.

El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:28 PM   #2

Auto ISO selection should not switch to higher sensitivity until shutter speed drops below 1/(35 mm equivalent of current focal length).
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:21 PM   #3

(Warning: bad English ahead)

El Caballo, I completely agree that EV compensation is too important and commonly used a function to be hidden in the menus. So much so, that I suggest moving it to the directional pad for even more direct access. Yes, it is currently used in all its four directions, but the upper one -extra LCD brightness- is not so important, and besides, it could be used as this: a brief touch would open the EV function, whereas a longer one (like the one needed to switch on the camera directly in review mode) would lit up the LCD.

As for the white balance, indeed it should be moved to the "F" menu, perhaps replacing the third current function ("Color", which is also rarely used, more so since it doesn't have that many fancy presets to experiment with). And speaking of white balance, it could use a few tweaks: for one, I find some of the presets way too similar. And there are two slightly annoying things about the custom WB: first, if I understood the manual correctly, it samples the entire frame, which is sometimes inconvenient because I then need to put the camera very close to the white object I use as reference (not always do you have the luxury of a white sheet of paper to cover the entire darn thing); it should give the option to sample only a central portion of the frame, and possibly even allowing to temporarily zoom in to the white object. Also, and when custom WB is set, the LCD live preview doesn't show the difference, so it isn't possible to check that the new WB was correctly set until you actually take the picture and review it.

Other things you mentioned would indeed be nice, although I don't know if they could possibly be implemented. A priority mode would be sweet, of course, and I personally would love having RAW, live preview histogram, and customizable contrast.

And... bracketing, anyone? :G
Koosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:08 PM   #4

Koosla: totally agree on Color settings not belonging on the F menu. I never change those, and I don't think anyone else does -- if I need more saturation I can do that on my computer. EV comp on the wheel would be handy, but if you put it first on the F menu it would be pretty much the same thing.

Proposed F menu (trying to order it with most-used things first):
-EV comp (in manual mode)
-White balance (in manual mode)

Color settings would go to the regular menu. What do you think?

Robb: Excellent point -- minimum shutter speed should vary with focal length.

I've noticed that even in bright outdoor shots it'll sometimes jump up to ISO 200 in order to get a shutter speed of 1/250 or faster, even at wide angle. Why? I can see doing that in Sports mode -- where you need a faster shutter -- but for snapshots it's totally unnecessary. Although for the typical unsteady-handed audience of a point-and-shoot, it should maybe be 0.6/focal length (roughly 1/60 at wide angle to 1/200 at full zoom).

"Best Quality" would use the same algorithm for flash shots (except in Sport mode, obviously): currently it always goes to 1/100th no matter what.

Koosla:I love the idea of use-adjustable contrast and bracketing, too, but I'm trying to keep this list to two or three things that are easy to fix. If we ever get those, *then* we can start asking for the really cool stuff!

Great input! Anyone have any other suggestions?

El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:22 AM   #5

There are lots of little things, but as people have said, we can't ask for too many at once!

I agree, colour mode should go off the F menu and be replaced either by WB or exposure mode (spot / multi / average, not the compensation).

But, the single biggest and best change would be another auto ISO mode that simply selects lower ISO and lower shutter speed. If they don't want to put it in the ISO menu, then they can do another Scene Mode called 'studio' or something, that aims for the lowest ISO without shutter dropping below 1/30 or thereabouts.

My single biggest annoyance by far with the F10 is that 'full auto' is basically useless outside of bright sun. I had auto using ISO 800 this morning when I could take the shot manually in ISO 100. That's pretty annoying.

I hate flash photos (main reason I bought the F10), so I'm not too fussed about that.

jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:34 PM   #6

I'd agree with El Caballo, with priority for me being suggestions #1 & #3.
nlsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:31 PM   #7

To the above list, please add an accurate optical viewfinder and image stabilization.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:45 PM   #8

We don't have to agree just select the most importent function to youfrom the list, andsend it toCustomer Service.

The list:

#1 another auto ISO mode that simply selects lower ISO and lower shutter speed

#2In theF menu
-EV comp (in manual mode)
-White balance (in manual mode)

and remove the current function"color"

#3 fix the bug: in scene mode the camera don't "remember" the ISO settings.

4:#4: A shutter priority scene mode.

So lets Start!

Link to Customer Service :

:idea:if you can put a link tothis tread in user reviews/Owners Opinionsof the F-10 like the onein dpreview so we will have more people.

Thanks ShlomiX

Shlomix is offline   Reply With Quote