Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:31 PM   #1

I shot some processional shots of my granddaughter's university graduation on sunday with my S7000. While the surrounding (arena seating) audience is portions of the shots are in excellent focus, the procession of graduates is a complete blur. Can anyone give me tips as to how best to shot action shots with the s7000. Thanks.
picturethis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:48 PM   #2

Post a couple of pics, so we can figure out what went wrong.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

Just by reading your post I would guess that in the low lighting the shutter speed was too long to stop the motion, the backgrond audience was relatively stationary and therefore sharp.

Two important rules for any situation like this:

1. Switch to manual focus, prefocus on a particular point and capture everyone as they reach that point (this is the case with all but the absolute fastest autofocus systems)

2. Keep both eyes open, the EVF is about 1/10second behind the action so watch with the other eye to time the shot. In manual focus mode the lag of the S7000 is very short so this should catch the action. If you rely on the EVF or LCD you will always miss the action.

The only other advice is to either use flash or put up with the noise and shoot at high ISO (800 if 3MP files will suit your purpose). Noiseware or Neat Image will deal with the noise later.

Practice, practice, practice, hope this helps.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote