Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

I took some snaps in AUTO mode with flash ON and the results looked very bad. The shots taken inside the house were bad and outside it was waste. I am attaching two images of interior and exterior photos. Is this normal in Fuji Finepix s5500/5100?
Attached Images
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2005, 2:00 PM   #2

Hello Archish,
I see that these shots are not very good...but that's too be expected under the circumstances really. You've got an outdoor shot in complete darkness where your relying entirely on the cameras flash for light. Given the limitations of on camera flashes and taking photos in complete darkness, this is to be expected. The second shot is of a completely black object against a completely white background...this of course will give you metering/exposure issues. If I may suggest you do some reading on exposure/light metering/etc you will soon be able to make the best of some of these situations. But the truth is these are difficult lighting conditions for ANY camera. I assure you the 5100 performs on par with similarly equipped cameras in most if not all respects.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:33 PM   #3

I agree with everything that has been suggested. Just an additional comment. Whenever you try to use the flash outside in darkness, as you did in the first photo, the flash just seems to be "absorbed" by the darkness. When you use the flash indoors, the light will, to a certain degree, reflect off from the ceiling, the walls, and other objects. But when you shoot outside you don't have those other surfaces surrounding you so it takes a lot more flash power to be effective. One illustration that I saw was to set the camera for a long time exposure, and then take a flash unit and fire it manually from several different positions closer to the building. I am much happier with the flash performance from my 5100 than I was from my other camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote