Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

i am looking to replace an aging FUJI S 7000 and a well used FUJI E 550, with a new digicam capable of making Colour prints on photo paper and art canvas (upto 40 inches x ??) these shall NOT be* Fine Art * prints so noise/grain is NOT much of a problem...

that said however, i shall also wan't to make Colour/B&W prints upto A3 in size to * V V Good * quality for my own personal ' FRAMED ' use, therefore noise/grain shall be more of a worry ...

i am NOT looking to spend a fortune on equipment, especially on'L' or 'ED' glass, and just wondered if a camera like the new FUJI S9500/9000 could be an ulternative to the Nikon d50 or d70scoupled witha lens like a Tamron or Sigma of the equivelant zoom ratio ...

thank you ...
stugolduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:54 PM   #2

You are using Fuji cameras S7000 and E550 want to move up to some serious stuff somewhere in low end DSLR department. If money is no objection, then all you have to do is go down to the store and test drive the camera yourself.

The Nikon D50 is a new basic DSLR, I don't know if it could use AA batteries or not, cameras use AA batteries will save you a lot of headache later on, you don't want to go on the internet and post "help, I need to know where I can get batteries for my camera A, camera B...", so at least check to see if the D5 has optional AA battery pack if you need it. Your cell phone uses dedicated battery, now you buy a camera uses a different one, later, one of your family member buy another camera with a different kind... you'll end up having all kind of chargers laying around the house. I've seen enough at my friends house.

Actually this is not a good time to buy DSLR unless you have to, because Fuji has launched two new S series camera, stand out the most isthe S9000filled withgenerous features in there at $700 is tough for other camera makers to compete. Fuji intends to stay put right at that category blocking all avenues leading North South East West. Yes other camera manufacturers can make better than the Fuji S9000 but with a cost. Fuji is getting aggressive lately by anouncing some new F series cameras, so with the S9000 blocking right at prosumer and low end DSLR line, Fuji stats to hit at point and shoots competitors.

The new technology in S9000 gives photographers close to true color as possible, so we as the general consumers don't have to spend much money to buy expensive photo sofwares to fix coloron our prints, any software will do. Fuji intention is clear, they want to offer cameras with low cost useage, we don't need to buy extra accessories, save money and time. Why Fuji is so nice to us? Easy, they know well that their commercial photo print business is going to die down due to more people are into digital cameras, they want to get in the market real quick. They already showed their sharp teeth.

Right now thegame at prosumer camera level is over, I hope not but reality is reality, the S9000 stubbornly stay put right there at the front door of low end DSLR. However, I don't think Fuji daresto cross the line in the sand, Canon with their heavy equipments are pointing at that direction, Fuji is not suicidal enough to make a wrong move, still it is an uneasy situation and very volatile, we may not know what Fuji is up to, who's behind it, I suspect Nikon. Nikon is getting tired of Sony chip leading them nowhere, and sic to see Canon party all day long counting money from sale of their high end DSLR for professionals, news, sport, photographers...

Now we can monitor that DSLR area, it still open for whoever can get in with a good low end DSLR to hold another attack from Fuji Pearl Harbor style, and I believe there will be some camera maker will show up to take over that position real soon. At that time I will consider moving up, right now I am zeroing in the S9000.

Pentax still hang on at the base ISO 200, could not do much. I don't buy any camera that I can not shoot at low ISO, with the S9000, I can fine tune my artillery range and dive down to ISO 80 to make a kill outdoor. Canon with the Rebel XT, just the name Rebel remind people of their 35mm Rebel from K-Mart/Wal-Mart. Minolta has team up with Konica but still going around and around with a new A200 7X zoom, none could impress Fuji, so the door is open here at low ends DSLR.

If Those camera makers want to get Fuji attention, just team up with Kodak, Fuji most fearsome competitor and gear up for a counter attack throwing Fuji off balance. Kodak is waiting and available.

Again, if I were you, I'd wait until the holiday seasons or a little past New Year to see what DSLR camera will show up next at the same time you are buying time to do more research.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:16 AM   #3

Whichever solution you choose, do not spend too much as dSLR are not (yet or more?) a sound investment.

First, dSLRs are still not a mature product. If you buy the 350D (Rebel XT) or 20D from Canon, what will be worth your "investment" in2-3 years? Canon just launchedthe 5D (full-size sensor) that will quickly be the norm in dSLRs? Nobody will want a 350D or 20D in 2-3 years.

If you go with a 350D, you don't waste too much money away.

Secondly, dSLRs are already challenged and will be even more challenged byAll-in-One(also called Prosumers, Point & Shoot,Bridges).

See the Fuji S9000 w. 28-300 focal range, manual zoom ring, 1600 ISO. See the Sony R-1 w. full-size sensor (not the case of Canon 350D, 20D or Nikno D50/D70) and better lens than on these dSLRs.

Features/price ratio of All-in-Ones is much more advantageous than low-end dSLRs.

If you go for a reasonable budget, you won't make a really bad investment anyway.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:41 AM   #4

gaul wrote:
See the Fuji S9000 ... 1600 ISO. See the Sony R-1 w. full-size sensor (not the case of Canon 350D, 20D or Nikno D50/D70) and better lens than on these dSLRs.
Bear in mind that, as far as I can see from samples so far, high ISO on the Fuji can't really hold a candle to dSLRs or the R-1. Or, to mix metaphores and totally confuse my whole point, it can hold a candle, but against the 300w bulbs, it doesn't impact much on the lighting of the scene....

Maybe I exaggerate, but it seems it's unable to quite live up to the hype in that regard. Looks like a great camera - I look forward to reading propper reviews. Certainly, the measurable resolution of the S9x00 appears to be virtually second to none, although I expect the R1 to be no slouch in that regard.

You don't give very much indication of the kinds of conditions you expect to be shooting in. Is low-light shooting important to you? It sounds like you feel a powerful zoom certainly is. To me, I reckon 200mm equivalent is pretty good telephoto, and the A200 with image stabilisation is looking good.

There are all kinds of other factors... for instance, as coldshot says, AA batteries could be a real advantage simply because they are standardised.

On it goes. I don't know what the best advice is - there are a lot of user reports and samples of the S9x00 out there to base a judgement on, but I would be inclined to wait for more professional reviews.
pterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:15 AM   #5

Whichever solution you go for, All-in-One w. good focal range or entry-level dSLR with decent lenses, don't goover-budget.

Rather than forking out $2000 today, you will spend your money more wisely by spending $1000 today and $1000 in 3 years.

In 6 years time, in 2011, you will be more happy with the 2nd camera, 2008 model purchased for $1000, rather than with a 2005 model purchased for $2000.

I apply this rule for constantly changing high-tech products. Once digital cameras become a mature market, you could go higher-end and still making a good investment, which was the case with film SLRs for a long time, before digital appeared...
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:06 AM   #6

I own the d50 and love it!

However I miss my old fz20 witch I enjoyed a bit more then my prior s5100, have to admit I got the pest photos out of the s5100 then my fz20. I like the convenience of these ps cameras, not having to change lens or carrying hefty equipment especially on vacation is more important then whatever quality gain a dslr can give me. sins I missed my fz20! 2 weeks ago I obtained the new fz30 and was impressed with the improvements and hand ability, it's an amazing camera and much better then fz20 in every way, but! Now that iv been spoiled by the low noise and higher iso's of my d50, I felt the fz30 simply couldn't satisfy my needs anymore, a better choice for me as a do it all carry everywhere would be fz5, so back to the shop went the fz30. However I wanted to see the new s9000 before settling on the fz5, after all the positive comments I read about it, I should at least check it out right? Personally I don't need all those pixels but will not complain if I have them. So I ask my shop when can I see this beast? The guy at the shop said we don't have it yet but come over I have something to show you! a new s5200 he just got while on vacation, after 15min of playing with it, no dough in my mind this is my next camera. Simply said it's everything I need and more! I honestly can't see how the s9000 can better this little gem of a camera? My bet is the s5200 will be a top seller.

I will keep my d50 but somehow I know it will be use much less frequently.

Guess what am saying is check it out before you buy a d50 or s9000
jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:52 AM   #7

If you can afford dSLR, then by all means I would get one. You have many more options, you have a bigger sensor, and it simply provides for a much more flexible operation. For instance, on the Fuji 9000 I think the smallest aperture is f/11 and the smallest aperture on any SLR is limited only by the lens that you are using. For instance, my son-in-law was recently taking some pictures with his Nikon, and he had set the aperture at f/32. And although the Nikon D50 is "only" a 6 MP camera, the difference in the size to the sensor will provide you with anything you will need.

Having said that, I will probably eventually purchase a Fuji 9000 because I'm not in the position where I can purchase all the lenses and everything else that I would "need" if I had an SLR camera. I think the quality of the 9000/9500 images is good enough, and the features on the camera are such that it makes for an attractive alternative for me. But that is my personal situation. Your best bet would be to visit some camera shops and evaluate both cameras and then evaluating your resources, your needs, and the features of the camera, make your decision. Whichever you choose, I don't think you would go wrong.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote