Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:19 PM   #1
Default Retaining image quality using FinePix Viewer

I have found I get slightly sharper saved copies if I save to HD using Automatic Save than if I double click on each thumbnail image, then say Save As in the new window. I think the Save As re-calculates the compression of the already compressed image, as the file size changes very slightly (up or down) on HD as compared to the SmartMedia card image. If I use Automatic Save, the file sizes are identical and there is no loss of detail. I then rotate images where necessary AFTER I save to HD. (It took me over a year to learn this lesson, so all my older images are slightly less than the ultimate resolution.)
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2003, 4:08 PM   #2
Default file name??

Hi MentorRon,

Do you change the filename when you save file individually? The number of characters in your filename can change the file size up or down slightly. But, you say you see a sharper image when you use the Auto save feature....I'll have to try that.

Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:51 PM   #3

No, I don't change file names initially: I may change them later when I'm organizing a group). I mean the file size changes say from 835kb to 787kb on Save As and when displaying them side by side on my monitor at full size (1600x1200) I can see minor sharpness changes (or loss of detail) in the copy on the HD (using either Finepix Viewer or Irfanview to look at both of them). If I use Irfanview to save them instead, there's a bit more loss of detail than with Finepix Viewer. Same goes for rotating landscape to portrait or V.V.(90 deg): Finepix is better than Irfan. I notice it most in faces, where I am more aware of small changes in detail (e.g. eyelashes, eyeglass frames, hair).
Until this week, I never thought of comparing the image still on SmartMedia against the copy I was saving on HD. I just did it now as I was testing out a new camera which replaced a defective one. I accidentally compared two copies of the SAME image from the new camera instead of one from the old camera and one from the new ops:
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote