Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:26 PM   #241

Hi all, thought I'd share my 9500 story here...

After reading many positive reviews I went and bought
this camera at my local Fuji Foto Center store. Went home
and began taking some test shots. But upon downloading
the photos to my computer I found that the left part of each
picture was softer than the rest of the photo - 1/10:th, or so, in
the sharpness was alright. I did some more testing to confirm
this and then returned the camera to the store.

They had not heard of any problems with this model, but they took
my camera and lent me their display camera. They were going
to phone the main office the following day, and then get back to
me. Next day I got the call, and they said I was apparently the 2:nd
person in Sweden to have this problem. And that they'd of course
send me a new camera. Meanwhile I had tested the camera they
lent me, and although it wasn't perfect, it was way better than the
first camera.

Today I got my new camera, and it's great! Can believe how
great my macro photos come out. Been using it with a +3
filter.

My first 9500 serial: 54q24021
Their display camera: 54q24020
And my new camera belongs to series: 54q31
(Location, Norrköping - Sweden)
RonnyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:49 AM   #242

Hi RonnyF,

Just out of interest, did your focus problem occur at all focal lengths.
I have heard of reports of this happening only at wide angle settings.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 4:27 PM   #243

Hi Edster77,

yes, problem on all focal lengths. Well, at least the two I tested.
If memory servers me right, about 50 and 200mm (35mm eq.)
RonnyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:43 PM   #244

Hi to all, arrived home from work on Friday and found a "sorry you were away from home when we tried to deliver your parcel" leaflet on my carpet, so I spent the whole of Friday night wondering whether my prayers have been answered. 8am Saturday; straight down to the local sorting office to collect my package. Fantastic a brand new boxed 54q serial numbered Fuji 9500, I am so pleased that Fuji have finally responded appropriately to my request for a new camera. I now have spare box instructions strap and all. Unfortunately no message inside to say what they have found wrong with my old one. So the silence continues with regards to focusing problems.

I am a little suspicious about the serial number 54q02052 as I have seen later numbers appearing with problems so we will see!!!!!!!!!!

I will have a play with it now and keep you all informed about any quality differences between this and the old. Thanks for all of your support and input, I now feel confident that I can post some reasonable quality images for you all to pick holes in. :G

Ronnyf i am pleased that you have also had your problem resolved, lets have a look at some picks!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ady_pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:10 AM   #245

Hi Ady,

So pleased for you that Fuji did the right thing and replaced the camera altogether.

Hopefully this spells the end of your woes but it does tell you two things. One, that Fuji have acknowledged there was a problem with your camera and two, that they areprepared to addressgenuine issues. Would be nice if they took this to the logical conclusion and told you what was wrong with the original camera, but I guess they've done as muchthey are obliged to do.

I wouldn't afford too much attention to the serial number value as the faults that have been reported occur randomly accross the the serial number values in a particular series. In other words an early number doesn't neccessarily implyany greater risk of having a dud thana later number. Faults have been reported in later numbers as much as earlier numbers (pretty much the 'Monday' car syndrome, I think)The 53Q number seriesappears to have the greater number of reported faults, however.

Nice to have a few spare bits & pieces,to boot :G
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:40 AM   #246

Good news Ady. Glad you hung in there.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:27 PM   #247

Many thanks ISOS and Steve for believing in my genuine problem, I am looking forward to some spare time to take some pics, I will keep you informed!!!!!!!!!!
Ady_pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:10 PM   #248

Having just found this forum, I thought I'd add my own experience regarding the S9500. My first digital camera was the S5500 which provided fabulous results straight from the box. The results were so good that I considered having some photos enlarged to 20'' x 30'' for framing. Unfortunately most companies that provide this service recommend at least a 5MP resolution. As the S5500 was 4MP, the results could not be guaranteed. So an upgrade seemed to be a good idea, and anyway I needed spoiling after a lousy year.:-).
As I'd had such a good time with the S5500, Fuji was the logical choice. I looked at the S7000 and it was great. But then I would be losing that great 10X zoom. The S9500 was the new kid on the block. It promised a lot and according to the reviews, it could deliver. Did I want to take this hobby further ? Yeah, I'm having a ball, why not. So the S9500 it was.
So, the camera arrives and away we go. The first shots taken on 'Auto' , not very impressive, slightly blurred . Let's try manual focus, slightly better, not much. Ok, lets try 'Continuous Auto Focus'.....Then the noise from the servo motor kicks in. . It's so loud that its picked up by the mic in 'video' mode. Surely it shouldn't be that loud ? The S5500 was all but silent......But, apparently so...According to Fuji, you should not use 'Continuous Focus' in video mode.
So after trying all the settings, I was still unhappy. This was not what I expected. Yes, I realise that the jump from 4 to 9MP will show up 'camera shake' more . After all there's more than double the pixels to wobble. Right? But surely not from a 'Timer' shot when the camera is on a table.
The upshot is that the camera is back with Fuji for an examination and I'm awaiting their report/excuse, whatever. The irony is that as I'm writing this I can see Fuji's full page 'Travel Photographer Of The Year' Ad (for the S9500) on the back of 'Digital Camera' Mag, showing some fabulous pix all of which I can guarantee you were not taken with a S9500. At least not mine......:evil:
Oh, I forgot to note the Serial Number. I'll post it, if or when the camera returns:roll:

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:02 PM   #249

Hi Stranger,

Your findings seem all too familiar, mine is just the same ........ Pathetic in AUTO mode but I do get good results in the manual settings. (Images are sharper due to the Hard setting being selected and colors greatly improved using the Chrome option)

I have been asked to return my camera for examination, but I need it at present so that will have towait for a few weeks, I am also quite concerned about sending an item of this value through the postal service.

Let me know how you go on with yours with particular regard to the AUTO settings.

Good luck
Focus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:20 AM   #250

Hi Focus Man, Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully Fuji will get on top of this as there seems to be more than just the odd glitch happening here. A few people here have mentioned that the S9500 is not a 'point and shoot camera' but surely thats just what the 'Auto' setting is for ?..........to let the camera choose the settings for an instant shot ?
Regarding sending the camera by mail don't worry to much.
Use plenty of bubble wrap and send using Royal Mail Special Delivery. It'll arrive the following morning and should cost about £7 including insurance for £400
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote