Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1

I have just got myself a S9500. I have been having a few problems.

Previously, I used my S602Z to take pictures of various items from about 1 metre - to do this I used Manual mode and set the aperture on the S602Z and banged away all day at f8 and the shutter speed set on 1/160 or so (didn't make any difference). I used the on camera flash to fire two Metz Flashguns on slave triggers. This produced pictures with good detail, and little shadow.

When I try the same thing with the S9500 - the results are variable to say the least. I have just taken about 20 shots of the same object, on the same settings, first shot was reasonable. But after a while, there seems to be a lag, and the on-camera flash is firing too late. Having done this for a number of years, I can tell by the sound that they aren't all firing in sync. The shutter seems to fire, and then the flashes fire about a tenth of a second later. Result, almost dark frame.

I have tried using a small external flash in the shoe and set it to external flash, and this works perfectly. Has anyone come across anything like this? Better still can anyone devise a test which would confirm or explode my suspicions.

Also, is there a way to enable the self-timer without using the menu(it's a bit of a palaver when you want to do it every shot) as you could with the s602Z - damned if I can find any mention of it anywhere.

dbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:53 AM   #2

I've been using my S7000 in a studio set-up and used it's on camera flash to fire my main/slave

then the flash tube went pop (after two years of daily use) so I started to use a cheap unit on the hot-shoe to do the work... no problems

got my S9500 and .......whoa....not sync-ing

found out from the clever guys here that now they tend to give a pre-flash to allow the works to calculate the correct exposure.... and it's the pre-flash which sets off the rest....ahead of time

have to use manual with the unit on the hot-shoe or pc socket to work OK

also the best way to check your flashes for sync. is to aim the camera at them on wide-angle... and you will see in the shot which ones light up and are in sync.
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:42 PM   #3

Use the PC terminal or Hot Shoe and the menu set to external flash.

Regarding the self timer:

I set it almost automaticly ( without looking at the menu ) by counting button pushes.

Push menu once, push right arrow once, push up arrow twice ( for ten second timer ), push menu to set, press shutter when ready.

I do it without looking. Very fast.

I do this for erase, raw, format just as quickly.

If you find out how to 'LOCK ON' the timer please let me know.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote