Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:10 AM   #1

OK, I was out "playing" trying different things with my S5200 and was finishing up and this sparrow landed in the bushes about 15 feet from me. I already had the zoom set to max, so I centered the bird in the frame and shot this, then the bird flew away. So since the bird is centered, why did the AF choose to focus on the far background instead of the centered image? How can I prevent it from doing this in the future?

Attached Images
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:53 PM   #2

Did you press the shutter button to halfway down to lock the focus on the bird before taking the snap? Don't think you did -focus bracket should reduce in size on the subject accompanied by a "Beep" (and the subject will be in sharp focus in your evf), once focus on the subject has been aquired.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:14 PM   #3

One important thing with the zoom is use a tripod when ever possible.Try S-AF and lock the toggle once selected, also for birds try to focus on the eye as a focus point.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:35 PM   #4

Was the camera in "high-speed shooting" mode? In this mode the near focusing limit at full tele is about 13 feet. If the bird was slightly closer than you thought, it may have been too close for autofocus to work.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote