Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:33 AM   #1

How much difference does a tripod make when taking photos?

I have recently bought an S9500 to learn photography with and I am almost happy with my efforts so far but I want to know if a tripod is worth the investment in terms of photo quality.

Does anyone have S9500 images with and without a tripod to demonstrate the effect?

I guess this question has been asked a thousand times before so excuse my newbie ignorance.

Thanks for the advice
Bumble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:58 AM   #2

yes it worth sometimesm

especailly when you need to get a whole family photo when there is no one ro take the picture.

Another is to get a distance shot.
hazarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:01 AM   #3

photography rule no. 1; mount your camera to a sturdy tripod

rule no. 2; WELD the camera to the tripod

the difference is like night and day

(a camera can NOT be manually held steady, only can be held 'good enough')
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4

A tripod is an essential piece of equipment. However many of my best shots were taken without,
Quintessential Moments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:20 PM   #5

Does it make that much difference if the object you are taking a photo of is moving. eg. fast cars etc?
Attached Images
greenlightphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:11 PM   #6

Always use a tripodunless a) you are going for an effect b) its a shoot now or lose the shot moment. A great ball headtripod can behadforabout $100 to $130.A tripod adds significantly to your images for many reasons. First and obvious, it holds the camera still. But it also forces you to think aboutthe composition which is even more critical. It will add tremendously to thesharpness of your images. But, on the other hand, those of us who make a living from photography wouldn't mind at all if you don't, we wouldn't have to worry about you creating competive images

Gillesgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:46 PM   #7

If photographing fast-moving objects is one of your priorities, you might want to consider purchasing a monopod as well. When they show the end zone shots at the football games I have seen a lot of photographers using them. But be sure to get one with an adjustable head rather than one that just screws into the bottom of your camera. I have one of those, but it doesn't give me enough flexibility.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:43 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice guys...

So a tripod it is then (I'm not into fast moving action shots yet)...

Cheers again...
Bumble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:48 AM   #9

It's best to get a good sturdy tripod. I've have one for years. It is a Velbon with pan & tilt head. Fully adjustable legs, with a central adjustable column to mount the camera.

Mostly the S9500 is capable of fast shutter speeds under good lighting, and so the tripod is not always necessary.

But the tripod is a good idea if you zoom that lens out to 200 or 300mm, or if slow shutter speeds are required due to poor lighting.

It is of course essential for most night shots requiring long exposures. I use the tripod too for all macro shots. This enables one to use manual focus, & select the smallest aperture for maximum depth of field. This usually means a slower shutter speed. Using a tripod & delayed action or cable release helps to avoid camera shake in this setup.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:22 PM   #10

I've been a proponet of tripods. There is something to be said about shooting a 35mm film camera on top of a tripod. I've taken a picture of an open Bible that only took up half the size of the negative and blew it up to 11 X 14. You can read the print in the Bible, but then again it was on a tripod with a very sharp lens. I was told early on, that if more people would take pictures with tripods, like medium and large format camera users do, then they would see exceptional results. And that is true.

Abit from a tripod is something solid to use as a brace. Example: rather than standing there holding the camera to your face to take the picture, stand next to a pole, a building , a vehicle, anything solid to brace you and your arm against before taking the picture. Use a fence post as a solid point. DON'T hold the camer out at arms length to look at that LCD screen.. you put your self and your camera in the worst possible position for camera shake.

my 2 cents woth *S*

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote