Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 16, 2003, 3:50 PM   #1
EdB

Default Can scratched lens coating be fixed?

I have a FugiFilm MX2900 zoom. It does great job with photos for the price. Or, I should say, it did.

Unfortunately, on a recent trip I cleaned the lens with the wrong things (t shirts, kleenex, nothing abrasive, or so I thought), and now all photos are blurred.

Looking at it closely, it appears that it is the coating on the lens that is the problem, not the lens itself. The scratches in the coating are quite visible.

Is there any way I can fix / repair the coating inexpensively? Can a shop do this?

If not the coating, does this mean I need a new lens? Is there any other way I can salvage this camera? I can't afford a newer / better one now.

Thanks for any help.
Ed
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2003, 7:36 PM   #2

first of all none of those will, if done sparingly, do real damage unless you put some real grit into the effort.

you probably have a substantial amount of oils from your body and other sources. look in a camera store and find a good microfibre cloth and give it a good cleaning. after cleaning it should look like new with a good reflection on it usually a greenish or bluish. if it looks foggy you should take it to a good reliable shop and have them give it a look.

if it is clear looking it may be a AF issue too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 8:37 PM   #3
EdB

I don't think it's just oils. I got one of those microfiber cloths and tried cleaning it and it did not remove the blurs and lines. In fact, when I look at the lens under bright light, it definitely looks like scratches. I thought they were in the coating because of the blue green lens color, but maybe the scratches are actually on the lens.

The place I was in when the lens got damaged was very windy, sandy and volcanic (Galapagos). Maybe more damage was done than I thought.

I'll take it to a camera shop, but is my only recourse a new lens?

Thanks,
Ed
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:48 PM   #4

if you did scratch it i would say yes. the coating process is quite sophisticated and cannot be redone.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 9:28 AM   #5

I once had a wrist watch with a very badly scratched crystal. Found out that dry cement powder works wonders as a jewellers rouge on plastic and glass, can't remember specific make, but I've tried it on spectacles and it works. Finishing plaster works as well.

Think you can say goodbye to the coating, but that shouldn't stop it working. Sounds like your lens is a bit trashed. Does the 2900 have a separate window for its AF? and is this dirty? Is it just an AF fault?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:00 AM   #6

do you know what your saying!!! :shock:

this is a piece of entry optics . you start ripping into it with jewelers rouge and kiss it goodbye. it will be defraction and reflection city there instantly. why do you think the coatings were the for in the beginning. plus you will (with rouge or any abrasive) reshape the lens. try that on your cornea one day. you'll be shooting through man made cataracts.

this aint no watch face.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:01 AM   #7
EdB

The 2900 does have a separate AF window but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem because only an area of each photo (the same area in all photos) is blurred. Before these scratches appeared, the photos were just fine (depending on my skill as a photographer - ahem!).

I still plan to take it to a camera store, but it sounds like I need to get a new one. Any thoughts where?

Ed
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
do you know what your saying!!!
I think when a lens has been ground in with sand and volcanic ash (and I guess we are talking plastic lenses? It's somewhat past the point of recovery.

If the repair is beyond economic cost for this guy, what suggestion have you got - other than throw it in a dustbin! What's he got to lose?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:47 AM   #9

yeah under controlled cnc strict tolerance clean room conditions not in your kitchen while watching the tele. how would you hold the curvature spec and prevent any flat spots.

i'm sorry as you just said if it is scratched it's a gonner. move on and learn from the error.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:05 PM   #10
EdB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
i'm sorry as you just said if it is scratched it's a gonner. move on and learn from the error.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I had no idea how the harsh the Galapagos environment would be on the camera. My best guess is ash/grit probably got in the kleenex/t-shirts that I used on the lens. I won't ever do that again.

Still, the photos I took there were fantastic (I threw them on the web so many people wanted to see them), the camera wasn't too expensive and converted me forever from film. I'll try a camera store, and meanwhile save my pennies for a new one.

Thanks for all your help.
Ed