Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:56 PM   #1

Tapachula, Mexico

Anyadvice on how the Fuji S5200 performs in lower light conditions?

I have seen some excellent images of birds withthis camera but not sure how it would perform in lower light at 380mm or over 500mm (with tele converter) without IS.
I will be taking photoes mainly in good light but depending on the otters some photoes may be taken at at late dawn, early dusk and in the shade.

I am prepared to use a trip.

Other possible cameras are fuji 9000 or canon S2 IS

Any advice welcome!

cheers julian

Julian Flavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:22 PM   #2

Any camera, regardless of whether it has IS, requires extreme care when taking pictures in a strong telephoto mode. You will have a fairly shallow depth of field, you will lose some of your f-stop control, and you will probably have to use a higher ISO setting to compensate for aperture. The answer to this question depends a lot on your skill as a photographer. It seems to me that you should be prepared to do some post processing. Is there a camera store where you can try these cameras for yourself and see what you think?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:47 AM   #3

At full zoom with a high iso pictures are fantastic with the s5200. It will be a great choice.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:24 PM   #4

I just bought a 5200 and I'd like to see samples of your wildlife work. How high an ISO do you think creates acceptable results with this camera? I've only had a chance to try it outside once and got a pretty good shot of a cardinal that would have been impossible without the 10x zoom.
ChrisBrewster is offline   Reply With Quote